Putting in storage for winter, suggestions?

oneof185

Established Member
I am putting my car up for winter in storage. Not a heated one, just typical storage shed where people put household things etc.
With that being said, I have put in Stabil and it is covered with a car cover. I have also placed mouse / rat poisen in the shed in case any get in the area and have placed glue / sticky boards all around my tires. Seems kind of weird probably but I would like to make sure no mice get up in my car etc. I have also placed a box of baking soda in the car for smells etc.
So, I actually don't plan on driving the car for 4 months at least Nov - Feb for sure. With that being said, would it be best to put the car up on Jack stands?
Don't know how many have dealt with mice etc in storage units before but you never know who's got what in any beside you, resulting in mice. And, I've see those things get places you wouldn't think.
So, putting up on Jack Stands may prevent a mouse climbing my tires etc, where I could probably put glue boards around jack stands more easily to where they couldn't jump on a tire and climb up???
What do you think? In addition to that, anything else I should do?

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Whenever I deployed I would air the tires up to MAX PSI, put some stabil in the tank, and call it a day. I would also have my wife start it and bring it to normal operating temps every couple weeks. I never had any problems and did this on my 98 & 03 Cobras.

I would be a little concerned with the pests more than anything. I would hate to see what a squirrel could do in 4 months if the car was completely unattended.

whoareyou

Established Member
Also forgot to mention, Ive heard its bad for the suspension to store a car on jackstands. Although with as soft as tires the new 5.0s have you are almost guaranteed flat spots if you don't

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Also forgot to mention, Ive heard its bad for the suspension to store a car on jackstands. Although with as soft as tires the new 5.0s have you are almost guaranteed flat spots if you don't

I've heard that it's bad to leave it on jackstands only with the suspension unloaded and dangling. As long as the stands are placed under the rear axle and front A-arms it should be fine.

203Cree

Established Member
Yeah, under the axle and a arms for sure. Keeps things loaded, but prevents flat spots.

Do something with the battery as well. Either disconnect and leave it in or pull it and put it on a tender. I'd also make damn sure the antifreeze is a good mix, as I know you know all too well how cold it gets here at times. Shame to have a shit mix and crack a block....

Of course, you could always come park it in my heated garage. I'll make sure it's taken care of. :-D

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I think I saw you about two weeks ago on Quivira and 146th ST around 8:30am? I was working off of 151st and Mission Rd painting.

Anyway, a friend of mine puts his GT500 on jackstands(axle/a-arms), battery tender and puts a car cover over it. Wouldn't hurt to give it a good detail too;)

oneof185

Established Member
Yeah, under the axle and a arms for sure. Keeps things loaded, but prevents flat spots.

Do something with the battery as well. Either disconnect and leave it in or pull it and put it on a tender. I'd also make damn sure the antifreeze is a good mix, as I know you know all too well how cold it gets here at times. Shame to have a shit mix and crack a block....

Of course, you could always come park it in my heated garage. I'll make sure it's taken care of. :-D

lol, thanks for the offer.

Users who are viewing this thread