Putting 305s on OEM Boss wheels

Wile E. Coyote

Established Member
Question for you experts out there, I just picked up a set of Toyo R888s for a trial run on my Boss the front being 235,35,19 and reader being 305,30,19. Looking fat! However I have a concern about the rear ones. The first tire shop I went to couldn't get the bead to set because the tires call for a 10.5 to 11.5 inch wheel, and the Boss wheels are 9.5. The second place I tried to buy new widers wheels, however they managed to mount and balance the 305 on the rear. Is it dangerous or stupid to have a tire requesting 10.5 to 11.5 on my 9.5 wheel. Keep in mind my Boss is supercharged with a little over 700 horses and I do race occasionally. I will post pictures of the rears when I get home. Thanks guys!

Jabooh1

Established Member
When you force a wide tire on a smaller than called for rim you are not gaining contact patch. Since the sidewalks have to bend in so much you are "peeling" up the contact area at the edges and not taking advantage of the width of the tire.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
It's mixed answers because its not a good idea. If you take corners too fast you could break the bead seal on the tire.

Wile E. Coyote

Established Member
The only thing I'm concerned about is I have drive to Pensacola from Arkansas this weekend I've orderd wider wheels but they won't get here till Monday

_Snake_

Established Member
Agree with everyone else that it's not worth the risk. Especially for that long of a drive.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I run a 305 on a 10.5 rim and it works great. The 285 rear on the stock 9.5 is max width for the stock rim by the book. The 305 on the 9.5 could in theory be done, but handling and tire wear would be an issue.

legos_mustang

Established Member
I wouldn't. It's a bit too much out of limits. 285s on a 9.5 are already at the limit. While you would get better performance out of a 305 with the right wheel, on a 9.5 inch rim, you are not. Heat is not going to build up and dissipate correctly, neither will the sidewalls fold up as well when turning. Finally you risk the chance of a blowout at high speed basically just for looks.

Users who are viewing this thread