Putting 03 valve covers on an 04

Vanilla Mustang

Established Member
I sent out a set of valve covers to get powder coated, they were off an 03 and marked 03 underneath. I noticed that the one I just took off the car has 04 marked on it.

Does anyone think this will be an issue?

Also, there were some small hairline cracks on the underside of the 03 covers..small and short stuff, worst around the filler cap. Anyone else notice this? Noting that shows topside, even after paint was stripped.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
As far as I know the valve covers should be exactly the same. Not sure about the cracks though.

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
They're the same, it doesnt matter. As far as the cracks as long as oil is not seeping from the top side of the valve cover I wouldn't worry about it.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Those cracks are normal unless they were huge. Ive pulled DOHC covers off navigators cobras and marauders and have seen spiderweb cracks in just about all of them but never have had a issue with one leaking out of them. Ive also noticed them on a few timing covers.

Vanilla Mustang

Established Member
cool, thanks for the input. Im stoked to get the new covers on Saturday. They were powder coated 'Cosmic Black', which is a gloss black with metal flake...

I'll be posting some of my findings in the How-to thread, just a couple things that I found make it easier while pulling the driver side apart.

Users who are viewing this thread