Put together a simple article on oil analysis.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Ouch, Iron is a bit high in that sample taken from the truck. Not trying to play devils advocate here, but after 5k miles.....and 15k on the clock, I don't think it should be that high.

Here is a Duramax 6.6L after 6k miles, no bypass filtration, Amsoil 15W-40. I took this sample for a local guy in Pensacola after 6 months of use in his truck. He used the sample oil for 12 months, then changed it.

67e40e2c.jpg

Last edited:

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Unleashed beast, where do you work that does oil analysis in Pensacola?

I do oil analysis on the F-35 Joint strike fighter for the Airforce, is there any good money to be made? What do you guys use machine wise? We use spectrometers..

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed beast, where do you work that does oil analysis in Pensacola?

I do oil analysis on the F-35 Joint strike fighter for the Airforce, is there any good money to be made? What do you guys use machine wise? We use spectrometers..

I send them to the lab like everyone else. That's not my day job.

Have a friend local that samples oil for the Navy, he also post here on the forums.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
If SVTP has the money I say go for it. It takes 15 minutes to calibrate the machine a day and literally 30 seconds to test a sample for us in the military. Not sure what the automotive side of the houses uses, but couldn't imagine it to be much different. Our units are $250,000. The govt over pays for #2 pencils though so I'm sure you can get much cheaper...

Mystic03

Established Member
Ouch, Iron is a bit high in that sample taken from the truck. Not trying to play devils advocate here, but after 5k miles.....and 15k on the clock, I don't think it should be that high.

Here is a Duramax 6.6L after 6k miles, no bypass filtration, Amsoil 15W-40. I took this sample for a local guy in Pensacola after 6 months of use in his truck. He used the sample oil for 12 months, then changed it.

67e40e2c.jpg

so how do i read this...lol

Users who are viewing this thread