put new alternator now belts to tight

04svtcobrablack

Established Member
Hey guys
Well my alternator went out and ordered a 160 amp upgrade from Jamie at start n charge. Finished the install when I went to go and put on my belt it was hard to put it on. I'm not sure but I think it has a 3.2 alternator pulley cuz its definitely bigger than the stock one. Right now I have the gates k080774 belt on it. I think i need just a slightly bigger belt I saw gates only makes the k080776 and the k080780 belts after the 774 so I'm thinking it has to be one of those. Theirs is how the tensioner looks with the 774 on it. The line used to in the middle of the little box before the alternator swap.
IMAG0251.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

Also what belt would you guys think I would need for the 3.200 whipple pulley I know I needed a k080765 belt (thank you jay)but now i think I'm going to need a slightly bigger belt.
I've already looked at cobra bobs website but mine setup doesn't come up
Setup is
Bf 4 pc idlers 3(100) 1(90)
Stock lower
3.5 upper on whipple 2.9 ( also want to know the 3.200 upper belt size)

Thank you
Ralph

Torch04RedSnake

Established Member
I just went to napa and they ran the PN on the one i had on before my new alt pulley. The 3.2 required a 2 inch longer belt than my stock alt pulley. If thats all you changed, then i would assume 2 inches longer than you have now should be pretty close

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup thats to tight! I had mine like that last summer and I think that made my bf idler bearing right next to the tensioner fail prematurely. I have stock alt pulley but I went a 1/2 inch longer and now mines right in the middle of the hash marks.

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
The pulleys i use are 69mm compared to stock 64mm.Your tensioner should be able to compensate for it with no problems.Tighter install fit,but no other problem i'm aware of.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread