Put Magnaflows on 04 Cobra and...

Texas Cobra 04

Established Member
they are very raspy/glass-packy when I push down the go petal. I took the car to the local muffler shop and had my bad high flow cats removed and replaced the the Flowmaster mufflers with the Magnaflows, MagnaFlow 14377 - MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
and I must say I'm not real pleased. At idle and cruising they sound good. I called Magnaflow and made sure I got the correct mufflers and asked their opinion. The tech suggested either putting high flow cats back on or adding a 5" resonator in front of the muffler. I currently have an X pipe no cats and a local made 2.5" cat back. Any thoughts?

mach1033

Established Member
they are very raspy/glass-packy when I push down the go petal. I took the car to the local muffler shop and had my bad high flow cats removed and replaced the the Flowmaster mufflers with the Magnaflows, MagnaFlow 14377 - MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
and I must say I'm not real pleased. At idle and cruising they sound good. I called Magnaflow and made sure I got the correct mufflers and asked their opinion. The tech suggested either putting high flow cats back on or adding a 5" resonator in front of the muffler. I currently have an X pipe no cats and a local made 2.5" cat back. Any thoughts?

I had the magnaflow x pipe catted along with there catback and it was actually very quiet until I went wot. I then went with the magnapacks cause I wanted a more agrressive sound.

Andy M

Established Member
I have an Off Road X pipe and Magnaflows on my 03. It is VERY loud at WOT but sounds intoxicating. I don't use my car as a daily driver so it is not a problem for me. If I did drive it more frequently though, I would probably do a Catted Xpipe to mellow it down a bit. It really comes down to personal preference. All I can say is my car sounds absolutely great at full throttle. The mixture of the supercharger whine and the exhaust puts a big grin on your face!:-D

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
I have that exhaust, but with factory cats and H pipe. Sounds deep, but the cats mellow it out. You can hear it at WOT, but it is not over the top. Most of the sound is directed behind you.

BTW OP...I'm older than you :coolman: and my car is a DD vert (top is always down), so I can always hear it, but it is not annoyingly loud.

SoCaDan

Established Member
I have that exhaust, but with factory cats and H pipe. Sounds deep, but the cats mellow it out. You can hear it at WOT, but it is not over the top. Most of the sound is directed behind you.

BTW OP...I'm older than you :coolman: and my car is a DD vert (top is always down), so I can always hear it, but it is not annoyingly loud.

I have this same set up on my vert and I agree with what D-Rock says. This exhaust set up is perfect for me.

92 Couper

Established Member
I have the Magnaflow cat back installed with Bassani Catted X-Pipe and love the sound. Mellow enough for cruising but gets attention when you stand on it. I think the issue is that you do not have cats on the car, that will make just about any cat back or mufflers sound a lot louder and more raw.

I like the old mans sound too (48 here).

Last edited:

Spitfire_GT

Back in the saddle
Established Member

This is where its at, there are plenty of ways to make power on these cars. My days of O/R pipes and drone are over.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
There's a ton of Terminator guys that are or have run Magnaflows on their 03/04's and not many complaints. They can be as docile or loud as you want, depending on midpipe or header selection. I ran them for 7 years on my 03'. With long tube headers and and off road H pipe, the exhaust sounded like a helicopter in a hen house.....

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
Magnaflow Cated X with Magnaflow Catback here and love it. Sounds off at WOT but nice at idle and cruising speed.

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
From the original post it sounds like you are now running a catless setup with magnaflow mufflers? If so I know exactly how raspy that can be as I ran a catless UPR X pipe with my magnaflow catback for over two years. Even though my car is NOT a daily driver I decided I could not stand the rasp/smell etc anymore. I switched the mid pipe out for a full stainless VRS catted X (magnaflow cats) pipe and the sound is IMO perfect, nice and clean sounding with a mellow rumble at low revs, but nice and loud/authoritive when you get into it. As others have said my days of off road catless pipes are behind me @ 33 lol !

Last edited:

Jsko

Established Member
My first setup was UPR X with the Magnaflow, it was was to raspy for me. When I put on the KB, I installed some Kooks LT's and High Flow Catted X. I think it sounds perfect, tame enough for cruising, very loud at WOT. There is no raspiness, and I lost the popping on Decel.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
I have this same set up on my vert and I agree with what D-Rock says. This exhaust set up is perfect for me.

exactly what I have as well, and very happy with it. Good mix of exhaust note and blower whine. It's been my experience that any X pipe will give that raspy exhaust note, I don't particularly care for.

UncleDan

Established Member
The Magnaflows are straight through mufflers, you can look right through them. That's why you're getting that "raspy" sound when you're hard on the throttle.

The Flowmasters you had on there are chambered mufflers, so you get a deeper tone, but less noisy at WOT.

I've heard a few clips of Cobras that have a nice quailty catted x pipe maited up to the Borla cat back (not stingers, the "quiet" Borlas) and it sounds pretty awsome. Not super raspy... look it up on youtube.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
About the only thing I liked about my Magnaflow cat-back were the stainless pipes. Otherwise, i think they sounded like garbage. I had the Magnaflows with a Mac off-road H. Now I have Flowmaster 44's.

Users who are viewing this thread