Put different wheels on the '98

MikeW

Established Member
Took the Simmons 3-piece wheels out of storage and put them on the '98 today.

Is the tire too close to the quadshock? I have spacers or can remove the quads if it is too close for comfort.

1-4.jpg

2-3.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Looks good Mike! I would change the fronts to a shorter sidewall they look a bit tall.:beer:

MikeW

Established Member
Looks good Mike! I would change the fronts to a shorter sidewall they look a bit tall.:beer:

I agree I bought the rear tires and they were taller than stock.. hence the taller fronts. Believe you me when these wear out stock height tires will go back on. I am going to daily drive these until they burn up.

Can't you just flip the quad shocks? That should take car of it.

I hear that can be done ...and i may do just that this weekend (if not raining)

mystical

Established Member
Looking good, it's nice to see someone running something different. What size are the tires?

mystical

Established Member
Yeah, you rear tires are really tall. Would have been better off with 295 35 or 315 30.

MikeW

Established Member
Yeah, you rear tires are really tall. Would have been better off with 295 35 or 315 30.

Yeah like I said above, I agree.. I even had/have 315/30/18 BFG DR's and KDW's for the front that I could put back on the wheels. I want to burn these tires off and then use the right height tire after they are gone.

If I put the KDW's on the front with less sidewall the ABS light stays on BTW.

yeah they look big, if you lower the car some more it will help the look

Humm not sure I wanna chop the H&R Race or swap the springs.. I would change the wheels before that went down LOL

It is just a daily driver and the soft RT-615's should not last too long and then i will go back to stock height tires.... until then it will have to look a bit goofy. I cant seem to justify not using the tires :shrug:

They would make a great combo for a Shelby they have a 27 inch tire stock...

Humm I may see if I can sell them :idea: I bet they dont have 300 miles on them.

Toasty

Established Member
Took the Simmons 3-piece wheels out of storage and put them on the '98 today.

Is the tire too close to the quadshock? I have spacers or can remove the quads if it is too close for comfort.

IMG_0784.jpg

Flip your quad shocks. Do not remove the quads unless you have aftermarket rear control arms.

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
It is just a daily driver and the soft RT-615's should not last too long and then i will go back to stock height tires.... until then it will have to look a bit goofy. I cant seem to justify not using the tires :shrug:

They would make a great combo for a Shelby they have a 27 inch tire stock...

Humm I may see if I can sell them :idea: I bet they dont have 300 miles on them.

I had RT-615s on my daily with 18's and they lasted for over 20k miles....

MikeW

Established Member
I had RT-615s on my daily with 18's and they lasted for over 20k miles....

Wow! I never would have guessed that... They are a great tire grip wise. I may put them for sale in the GT500 section and see if anyone wants a good set of tires.

It would take me a year+ to get 20k miles on these. Thanks for the heads up :beer:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
My race springs are red, but I have no iso's up front and only the bottom one in the rear and I love the stance. It doest creak or make noise up front, but in the rear it squeaks a little, but hey...it's a mustang.

MikeW

Established Member
I have 2 other Cobras (03's) one is a touch too low and scrapes on things (H&R SS MM ISo's coupe). The 03 vert has cut stockers (one coil all around/stock Iso's) and they are about right to me.

Yours does look Killer BTW :rockon:

My race springs are red, but I have no iso's up front and only the bottom one in the rear and I love the stance. It doest creak or make noise up front, but in the rear it squeaks a little, but hey...it's a mustang.

Last edited:

MikeW

Established Member
Why does the abs light stay on with a smaller diameter tire on the front?

Only if taller tires are on the rear.

When you have different height tire(s) on they ABS sensors see the tire difference as one or more tires spinning. For example the stock tires have a revs per mile of about 800 and the taller tires are in the 750 zone. I forget the exact number but if one tire(s) is taller by more than 1/2 inch then the ABS light kicks on. I can clear the code but after a couple of miles bingo there it is again.

MikeW

Established Member
**Updtate

The tires were too Tall LOL. The tires were rubbinh the top of the fender wells when I would hit a dip/bump in the road. So the black Simmons wheels are off, the tires are up for sale, and a set of wheels that I had in storage are on teh '98 now.

Silver FR500's 10 in the rear with 285/38/18 Nitto Dr's on the back & KDW's on the front. I will use these until I sell the other tires and replace them with the correct height tire.

1-7.jpg

2-5.jpg

3-4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread