Pushrod guys in here! Need help with a combo-331+ Trickflow

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Guys-
I have a friend who has a 93 LX and he bought the Trickflow top end package for it. We have not installed it yet, but he decided he wants to do everything in one shoct and get a s/b or build a 331. I told him to look into CHP, FoxLake and DSS.

Goals are as much power possible on pump gas (93)
Streetable,and maybe 100-150 shot down the road.

He plans on spending the money for forged internals. He also thought about the Stg1 porting package for Foxlake for the heads and intake.

Things he dosent know-
Compression ratio
injectors and MAF
Any other odds and ends, water pump, pulleys ect

He has MAC L/T's MAC H-pipe and MAC C/B and a CAI and a Centerforce clutch and 3.73 gears

Thanks in advance-

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Guys-
I have a friend who has a 93 LX and he bought the Trickflow top end package for it. We have not installed it yet, but he decided he wants to do everything in one shoct and get a s/b or build a 331. I told him to look into CHP, FoxLake and DSS.

Goals are as much power possible on pump gas (93)
Streetable,and maybe 100-150 shot down the road.

He plans on spending the money for forged internals. He also thought about the Stg1 porting package for Foxlake for the heads and intake.

Things he dosent know-
Compression ratio
injectors and MAF
Any other odds and ends, water pump, pulleys ect

He has MAC L/T's MAC H-pipe and MAC C/B and a CAI and a Centerforce clutch and 3.73 gears

Thanks in advance-

Good call on going ahead and knocking the shortblock out. Mine let go 3 months after I put it together, lemme tell you it sucks balls tearing it right back down. A nice 331 with a shortblock, then topping it with a 100-150 shot is a crapshoot on a stock block though. DSS offers a "better" stock block but from my understanding is an aftermarket is the way to go. If I was him I would strongly consider an aftermarket block while everything is apart if spray is a real possibility.

For a street n20 car I'd look for around 10:1 or so compression. Injectors I'm not sure what the fuel demands are I'd say 30lb injectors at minimum with the possibility of 42s. Either way I'm sure a good tuner could easily make either work well.

As for water pump, mechanical or electric would work. Just buy a nice quality piece. Pulleys, I run em on my car but I'm personally not nuts over them. If I ever went to a stroker motor I would probably go back to the stock ones.

The 3.73s may be too much for a 331, and sure as hell will be on n20. I tested my n20 kit at the 1/8th track and I was in 4th gear before the end of the track and I had to really pedal 1st all motor then straighten it out after the 1-2 change, and then do it again when I armed it. I'd be in 4th easily if I could spray on the holeshot with traction. My car is just a 306 and I nearly run out 4th with 3.73s at the 1/4.

Also, it is very doubtful the t5 will live very long behind that motor even in N/A form. My transmission is on it's way out behind a 306 thats never even had sticky tires on the car.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Thanks for the info. A few of the people I have talked with think the stock block is good to 600HP at the crank? Also they think the stg1 Trickflow cam with be small with the extra ci.

90mustang306

Dead Crawlin
Established Member
Thanks for the info. A few of the people I have talked with think the stock block is good to 600HP at the crank? Also they think the stg1 Trickflow cam with be small with the extra ci.

stock blocks come and go at 500 with a good tune and low "high" rpms they can say alive..

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member

Personally I agree strongly with going with a more aggressive cam. I didn't say anything though b/c I thought he wanted to keep the kit as one piece. My honest opinion would be to sell the cam off (he won't lose his ass since there only like 150 bucks a piece, and he saved money goin with a complete kit anyways) and going with a custom cam. A custom cam from ed curtis is only 325 bucks, which if hes spending that kind of money for a stroker, you would be a fool imo to slap an OTS cam in it.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Right on, I also browsed around Anderson Ford Motorsports and looked at their cams. IMO 10:1 is a little soft for compression. Id like to see 11-11.5, this is going to be a N/A power plant with NOS down the road.

So who builds the best short blocks?

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
We are shooting for around 400-425RWHP N/A. Im just thinking of down the road, there is a little room to grow with the NOS, 100 shot max.

Here is what I have in mind-
331 Forged-11.0-11.5:1
Trickflow heads and intake- ported by Foxlake
Custom ground cam (Ed Curtis?)

Mongoose 03

The Godfather
Established Member
We are shooting for around 400-425RWHP N/A. Im just thinking of down the road, there is a little room to grow with the NOS, 100 shot max.

Here is what I have in mind-
331 Forged-11.0-11.5:1
Trickflow heads and intake- ported by Foxlake
Custom ground cam (Ed Curtis?)
Sounds good, but do it with a Sportsman block :thumbsup:

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Well, he placed the order today-

Fox Lake FORGED 331 10.5:1
Trickflow heads and intake ported by Fox Lake
Custom cam- Fox Lake

I think he is STILL soft on compression. Hopefully it will make good power N/A. I also think he should have went to Ed Curtis for a cam, from what I have read the guy is good. Im sure Fox Lake can put a good combo together for him.

Im thinking 42 for injectors?
He has a 190 fuel pump now, will he need bigger?
What other fuel system mods will he need?

95opal

Established Member
Well, he placed the order today-

Fox Lake FORGED 331 10.5:1
Trickflow heads and intake ported by Fox Lake
Custom cam- Fox Lake

I think he is STILL soft on compression. Hopefully it will make good power N/A. I also think he should have went to Ed Curtis for a cam, from what I have read the guy is good. Im sure Fox Lake can put a good combo together for him.

Im thinking 42 for injectors?
He has a 190 fuel pump now, will he need bigger?
What other fuel system mods will he need?

Is that a stock block w/ forged internals or did he play it smart and pick up a dart block? IMO it is foolish to build a stroker off a stock block.
He should throw a 255 pump in and be done. good luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread