Push Button Start Install

smrtasp

Established Member
I decided to do this on my 2013 with the kit from Shelby and ran into an issue I will try to sort out tomorrow. The instructions show an ignition harness with 5 wires coming out. I have 12 coming out of mine so was getting confused on what needed to be tapped into. I couldn't find a wiring diagram either. The instructions specifically call out a blue/white wire and a blue/grey wire. Well I have no blue/grey wire. I took a chance by using the PIN numbers that were called out and tapped into a small solid blue wire (I also see a thicker blue wire) and while I have power to the push button (it lights up when the ebrake is up) and toggles on and off with the ebrake as expected, it wont start the car. The key still works because I chose not to cut anything such that the push button was the only way to start the car. Has anyone else installed one of these yet on their 13? Ive also emailed the guys at SPP letting them know their instructions aren't right, at least for 2013 models. If I end up finding a diagram and getting it sorted out I will update this post. Hopefully it will help anyone else who decides to do this.

blacknlte

Established Member
In figure 11 on the Shelby instruction, does your look the same? I looked on ford motorcraft site and it only shows 5 wires for the ignition switch. Blue w/white stripe is the start wire

smrtasp

Established Member
The 13s are different I guess. Silver horse racing actually makes the ones Shelby sells and they got me in touch with a tech today. They thought I was pulling the wrong harness and asked to look at the one behind the wheel that pulls out towards the firewall. It's even more different. They thought I was pulling the one that controlled the turn signal and high beams. Either way, the harness on the 13 doesn't match any current instructions. Once I get it sorted out with the tech I will update this thread.

blacknlte

Established Member
Good to know!! But you'd think SPP or SH work have did some homework to check that out before saying theyll fit the '13s

smrtasp

Established Member
Yes, the button replaces the 12 volt in the center of the dash. I ordered a blue one. It matches the blue door sill lighting change I did. It looks really nice in my opinion and I have it set to light up only when the ebrake is pulled and the key is in the ignition. I did confirm last night that the wiring is different. I posted pics over on team shelby where Jer and someone from silver horse are asking me for more details to help me out.

Myfast70

Established Member
So if I'm understanding this correctly, you still have to have the key in the ignition and on for the push button to work? If so, what a foolish mod! If I were to ever consider this type of mod it would have to be a true keyless setup like on a Ford Flex and lots of other vehicles where you just have the transponder in your pocket and then hit the start button.

Sounds more like an unnecessary ricer mod, sorry.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Why would u want this? You still have to turn the key.

You have to have the key in the ignition and then hit the button from my understanding.
My E55 is the first car I've had with keyless ignition, I would have preferred to have it on the GT500 and I can understand why some people want to do this mod, although the fact the ket still needs to be in the ignition kills it for me.
Subscribing to see how this ends, but to call it a ricer mod is harsh. If you don't like it move on.
-J

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
My Maxima has push button start.

The point? Leave the fob in my Pocket. Unlock and lock door without ever touching key. Start car with key in my pocket.

Other than just having a button to have a start button- this is pointless.

smrtasp

Established Member
Problem solved. Wrong plug. The pictures don't really show it well and when I did this on my 08 the ignition harness was on the lower left and pulled out towards the driver door. There are 3 total plugs on the wheel and the one I needed isn't visible except for looking up underneath the steering wheel. The instructions are a photo copy and almost too black to see anything. A link to the post with more pictures and details is on team Shelby. I have it set to light up when the key is in and the ebrake is pulled and the blue matches the blue on the door sills. The lettering also matches other GT500 lettering like on the floor mats so this actually fits in pretty well.

I know some may not like this mod but we each have our own preferences. I can't stand the weird quarter window covers with scoopes in them but to each his own. This post was meant to help others who decide to do this learn from what I did. Lets keep it that way.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/in...arter-button-switch/page__st__40#entry1418837

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Problem solved. Wrong plug. The pictures don't really show it well and when I did this on my 08 the ignition harness was on the lower left and pulled out towards the driver door. There are 3 total plugs on the wheel and the one I needed isn't visible except for looking up underneath the steering wheel. The instructions are a photo copy and almost too black to see anything. A link to the post with more pictures and details is on team Shelby. I have it set to light up when the key is in and the ebrake is pulled and the blue matches the blue on the door sills. The lettering also matches other GT500 lettering like on the floor mats so this actually fits in pretty well.

I know some may not like this mod but we each have our own preferences. I can't stand the weird quarter window covers with scoopes in them but to each his own. This post was meant to help others who decide to do this learn from what I did. Lets keep it that way.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/in...arter-button-switch/page__st__40#entry1418837

To each his own for sure!

I also hate the window covers and side scoops!

TORQJNKY

Good luck, but this is one mod I would never ever do

It's actually pretty nice to have. I don't have it on my 13 but going from my Z06 to the GT500, I hate having to pull my keys out of my pocket after I've already sat in car. If you have to have the key in the ignition, Chris! said it best, this seems pointless.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
It's actually pretty nice to have. I don't have it on my 13 but going from my Z06 to the GT500, I hate having to pull my keys out of my pocket after I've already sat in car.

I agree . But I think with this mod, you still have to use the key

Myfast70

Established Member
Other than just having a button to have a start button- this is pointless.

Yeah edited my post after reading more. Seems pointless then.

Hence why I said it seems like a mod that you'd find on a cheesy ricer!

But hey, when you make the payment every month you're free to do whatever you like to the car. It makes us all unique and different from the next.

BTW, I agree with you guys on the side scoops too :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread