Purpose of aux idler and more power for cheap...

speedieGT500

Established Member
Whats the purpose in the idler? I dont seem to have any belt slip but my power on the dyno was also lower than expected. Mods are as follows 2.59 pulley, frpp intake, frpp shorty headers, no cats straight piped, and a custom tune from a very reputable local tuner. Made 525/528 do you think theres more left in the tune? I always am wanting more of course what should be my next relatively inexpensive step lower and aux idler maybe? Also have a dry nex n2o system in my garage being unused. But my car is being tuned with hptuners so no way to switch between n2o tune and no n2o tune. My tune would then become a lame pig rich tune to accomadate for the extra fuel the n20 would need correct?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The larger idler takes some of the slack out of the belt from the installation of the smaller diameter pulley.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
When i went to a 2.50 pulley i bought a Metco aux idler. Don't know how much it helped but it looks badass

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The larger diameter idler pulley assists with belt wrap on the supercharger pulley and also takes up some of the belt slack that occurs with the addition of the smaller upper pulley. This allows you to continue to run the stock supercharger belt.

With the GT500's 10 rib pulley setup, aong with belt configuration routing, belt slip issues are rarely seen. It was a much bigger concern with the 8 rib setup on the 03/04' Cobras.

Your horsepower production is in line with the mods that you have on the car. There's generally more left in the tune if you increase advance timing levels and raise air/fuel ratio, but this brings on a whole new level of concerns with proper fuel use and motor safety.

Users who are viewing this thread