Purchasing new vehicle out of state, taxes question?

Ken03KBGTvert

Established Member
Any Ford sales people on here or have experience with this?

I have done it before (Ohio) and I paid the taxes locally when I got back to my state (Tennessee). I'm looking at purchasing a new F250 from a dealership around Houston now and they are telling me I will pay them the taxes and they will forward them to my state. Is that required? They also are charging me Texas taxes on the buyers form, not Tennessee taxes where I live. Wouldn't it need to be Tennessee taxes?

Nothing is in concrete or signed yet, I just don't want to get screwed. Houston is 14 hours away. If something goes wrong that is a long way to drive to get it fixed "in person".

There is another F250 on the Mississippi Gulf Coast that I like a lot and I will be down there next weekend (family there) but I don't know if they will give me the same deal as the one in Houston.

Thanks for any help...
Ken

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
No, you dont have to pay the taxes. Dont pay the taxes and pay the taxes in your state when you get back. If you want the taxes to go into a possible loan on the vehicle then you will need to pay them up front.

Satyr

Established Member
It's up to you, and either way will work. I have bought cars out of state and paid the taxes when I've returned home, and I've paid them out of state. For example, one of the purchases was made at a dealership that wanted me to pay it there. They included that information in the registrations forms they mailed to me within the next week or so. When I went to get the car registered, the forms I had proved I had paid the taxes. The dealership had actually charged me more than they needed to, and the license dept cut me a check for the difference.

I was looking at a car in Michigan and the dealer there told me their state requires them to collect it (probably BS)--but, either way, you'll end up paying the same amount.

Users who are viewing this thread