Purchasing a F150 with questionable mileage

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Good morning,

I am looking at buying a F-150 from a guy and it is a smoking deal but I seriously question the mileage. The carfax does show mileage discrepancies which I am somewhat okay with. My question is how do I find out what the mileage is roughly? I thought only ford technicians could mess with mileage as it is stored in the PCM/Cluster/BCM which all ties to the keys. If the mileage is more thats fine but wanna make sure it doesnt have 300k plus. Is there a way to find out the true mileage without looking at the cluster? I tried using a scanner but it is showing or pulling what the cluster is showing.

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
I also found documentation of the original owner in the glove box. Would it be weird to call the guy to ask roughly what the mileage truly is? Maybe he was the one behind the odometer being low?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
would help a lot to know what year truck you're looking at.

someone could swap the cluster and associated parts and keep everything working and the milage would be wrong

post a screen shot of the car fax stuff? They can easily get the stuff wrong too - my mom's suburban had around 85k miles when she sold it, I was looking up the trade value and it pulled up showing an odometer reading of close to 200k!

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
its a 2014 F150.

CarFax5.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
thats stupid low for its age but I guess it could happen. Maybe its because it doesnt have the original sale and mileage? Interesting theres no other mileage history

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
call the previous owner and speak with him? but what if the truck was repo'd from him he may not want to talk about it.

sleek98

Established Member
You can change the mileage by swapping clusters or sending it off to a company. If you swap clusters you have to do a key relearn with the ford IDS tool.

If the truck doesn't look brand new then someone has swapped the cluster, however it would cost a few grand to do. So its not really cheap to change.

andymarkv

Established Member
No offense...but if you've seen it, it should be pretty obvious if it is an actual 19K mile truck.
Is it super beat? Why are you questioning it? Just the Carfax? What condition is the brake pedal/steering wheel/arm rests?
Got any pics?
I've seen low mile trucks that were TRASHED but there was a unusual circumstance. (Like a yard truck at a business, farm, school, municipality)

LS WUT

Established Member
Mileage discrepancies sometimes come from the DMV. I once had some fat heffer try to put mileage unknown on my Redfire cobra because she didn’t want to walk outside to verify the mileage herself. They did this to me on my foxbody too. However with that I wasn’t going to put up a right, I knew it didn’t matter to me if it said mileage exempt.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I worked at a Ford Dealership and we ordered a replacement cluster, you had to fill in the requested mileage. I suppose it would be easy to get a friend at a Dealership to fudge that number, but as stated, those clusters are not cheap.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
When I worked at a Ford Dealership and we ordered a replacement cluster, you had to fill in the requested mileage. I suppose it would be easy to get a friend at a Dealership to fudge that number, but as stated, those clusters are not cheap.
Or you buy one out a wrecked truck

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
the question isnt "does this truck have this mileage" because I am certain it doesnt. I would just like a rough idea of how many miles are actually on it. 100k? 200k? 300k? 400k?

Users who are viewing this thread