Purchased Koni STR.T.....Having second thoughts after comparing to OEM...

im4darush

Established Member
I have a 2008 GT500 that still has the factory struts shocks. When I purchased the car it came with BMR 1.5" springs. I went ahead and purchased the Koni STR.T set as I read the reviews and everyone seemed very happy with them. Here is the issue I am dealing with. When I compare the compression on these to the OEM shocks, the Konis are probably twice as light. Very easy to compress. The originals are stout compared to these. In my mind, this means the car will be loose. The BMR springs are about 220# so not so different from the OEM.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these Koni STR.T's matched with a mild spring? I really dont want to put these on if they are crap (compared to the original GT500 shocks/struts).

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Two things you might want to consider: 1) the Koni shocks are know to blow out 2) I've *heard* they are out of production, so you might have a hard time getting replacements, if one does blow out. I'll let others chime in, if I am mistaken.

im4darush

Established Member
For the benefit of those who may be wondering the same thing...

I went ahead and installed the Koni struts/shocks anyway. My BMR springs are part number SP070. They lower the car about 1.5". Even though by compression the Konis are much lighter than the OEM shocks, I have to say the ride paired with these springs is very nice. It feels very controlled, and is not bouncy or uncomfortable. These springs are 220lbs front and 200lbs rear so the STR.T work very well. I actually called BMR this morning before doing all this to get their take and they said the STR.T was a great match for the springs. They were right. For everyone looking for a budget setup, this works very well for a lowered street application.

barspen

Established Member
I ran Koni STR.T setup with FRPP springs for a couple years...No drivability issues. Close to stock feel, maybe a little tighter on twisties. I've since upgraded to Sports (Yellows) to get adjustability for HPDE.

Two things you might want to consider: 1) the Koni shocks are know to blow out 2) I've *heard* they are out of production, so you might have a hard time getting replacements, if one does blow out. I'll let others chime in, if I am mistaken.

This is true...I had two struts blow out for the years. Easy to spot with the lots of oil covering a relief spot on the tube. The good news is that Koni has a lifetime warrantee if you keep you receipt. They will do an advanced replacement with some $$ up front and then refund it after they get the old part. Both times, the transaction was smooth.

372c1be6-8383-40b2-8b76-ba501565cbcb_zpsvjvqfdmj.jpg

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Barry, are they still in production? I think I remember reading on American Muscle, they were trying to sell their inventory at closeout prices, because the STRTs are no longer being made?

barspen

Established Member
It a good questions and I'm not sure. They are on sale/clearance at almost every vendor, so it wouldn't surprise me. I'd suggest OP give there Koni tech folks a call as they may help.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I considered purchasing these shocks, but what good is a warranty, if they can't replace it.

BMR Tech 2

Str.T are still in production, I don't think you have to worry about them disappearing any time soon! Koni runs a sale annually on all of their shocks, which is why you're seeing low prices everywhere on the Konis. The only reason you would ever have a hard time getting a set would be if they're on backorder because of the sale.

I'm happy to hear that you're happy with your BMR/Koni combo! I had Konis on my car for 3 or 4 years and I was very happy with them.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification. I wanted to buy them, but the mis-information kept me from purchasing them.

Users who are viewing this thread