Purchase Cat Delete Pipes or Hollow Factory Cats

2014GT

Established Member
I searched, didn't come across anything. Wanting to do an AED tune with the cam lope, as everything I've ever had has been cammed. Going to purchase a decent cold air kit (unless I find it not essential). Curious if I should order some cat delete pipe sections, or just hollow the existing factory cats (which will pass a visual TX inspection)...

Just looking for input, pro/con of each direction. I'd prefer to just hollow the existing cats so I can pass local state inspection unless there is good reason not to.

Thanks.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
I searched, didn't come across anything. Wanting to do an AED tune with the cam lope, as everything I've ever had has been cammed. Going to purchase a decent cold air kit (unless I find it not essential). Curious if I should order some cat delete pipe sections, or just hollow the existing factory cats (which will pass a visual TX inspection)...

Just looking for input, pro/con of each direction. I'd prefer to just hollow the existing cats so I can pass local state inspection unless there is good reason not to.

Thanks.

Here is my opinion. I did both on my last two coyotes. And when you hollow out the cats, its a very hard process and dangerous too. I had to literally take a tire iron with spiked end and a hammer and pound it into the cat material to break it up. Its tough stuff. Its basically like brittle concrete in there and you have to pound the tire iron or a big screw driver into the material so it starts breaking up, then you can flip it over and let it fall out. Keep in mind the dust that gets made is very dangerous to your lungs, and can hurt you bad. So wear a mask, and do it up-wind of the cat. I also put the cat into a big garbage bag and did it while it was in the bag to catch the crap falling out of the bottom of the pipe.

Now in retrospect, the cats are actually worth something. Either to a scrapper, or here online. Generally about $100. And the cat deletes are $130 from jegs. I think the better way was getting the cat deletes, and selling the stock cats. Or keeping them when you need a break from the stink of raw exhaust or the sound of not having cats. This is really the most friendly way to do it, safer for you and the environment.

Also people will tell you that in hollowing out the cats, you create a big turbulent place in the exhaust, and it kills the flow somehow. I have heard this, but never saw any adverse effects from it. If you can afford the $130, get the deletes. But once you hollow out the cats, you cant go back. Thats my opinion.

2014GT

Established Member
Makes sense. I may just buy deletes and keep the cats in case I need to put them back on for any reason.

11redGT/CS

Established Member
I was actually thinking of doing the same for the reason that cops and chp actually look under cars if pulled over for the exhaust tone and they know what they're looking for California sucks I know so I too was thinking about buying an extra set of cats and hollowing them out since it can be a $1200 ticket but if it's not reccomended I might just have to wing it and hope for the best!

Badlilstang

Established Member
Come inspection time you might want those cats. You never know how laws are going to change. I know there are ways around things now but that might not always be the case.

bmyles

Established Member
I bought a set for $50 dollars before I put my x pipe on and gutted them but put the cut facing the body so even if you looked it still looked stock when they were on the car.

scott_0

Established Member
buy cat deletes, don't hollow out and ruin a good/expensive pair of factory cats, that's just crazy

Users who are viewing this thread