Pump E85 and Torco

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I have read where pump E85 have a fairly low grade gasoline mixed in. The octane rating of the gasoline is somewhere below 87. Is there a benefit to adding Torco to your tank to raise the octane of the gasoline portion of the E85? Would this add a layer of protection on top of the E85 for say at the track?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
There is ZERO reason to add Torco to E85.

The main reason I switched back in 2009 was for the added protection. The benefit of cooler temps and more HP were just icing on the cake!

I have seen cars lean out to 19:0 A/F and just nose over. Pull the plugs are they were fine. This was on a 2013 5.0 w/ 11:1 CR and Twins.

The amount of protection E85 gives is crazy! Don't mess it up by adding Torco.

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
There is ZERO reason to add Torco to E85.

The main reason I switched back in 2009 was for the added protection. The benefit of cooler temps and more HP were just icing on the cake!

I have seen cars lean out to 19:0 A/F and just nose over. Pull the plugs are they were fine. This was on a 2013 5.0 w/ 11:1 CR and Twins.

The amount of protection E85 gives is crazy! Don't mess it up by adding Torco.

I agree.

I've seen similar situations of a GT500 lean out 15:0+ A/F on E85 at full boost on the stock motor going down the track. Plugs and motor were fine.

Just make sure the Ethanol content is 85% if you are tuned for 85% and not winterblend 70%. (Although now everyone is on summer blend)

Users who are viewing this thread