pulling the trigger on "restoring" my suspension

NJredfire03

Established Member
So my car has been through the ringer when it comes to going through bad weather and environments. The irs subframe, rear upper/lower control arms, hubs and knuckles, front a arms and spindles are allll corroded. It looks terrible. Takes away from how "special" the car is. Anyway, im buying a used but not rusted or corroded irs subframe with uca,s and lca,s, front a arms and spindles. This is going to be a work in progress. The actual installation of these things wont happen for a while. But i saw the opportunity to buy these parts, so i am. Ove 2014 i will be collecting other parts that need to be "restored" like the rear hubs and knuckles. While i have a different subframe out of the car, i plan on getting the FTBR contorl arm and subcrame bushings.

Like i said this is a work in progress. So dont expect anything for a while.

Has anyone else thought about doing this?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
If your doing the FTBR kit why now go a little further and get your current pieces powder coated....... There is a guy on here that did it and it turned out great! I didn't find the thread with a quick search but I'm sure you could if you tried.... something to think about....

NJredfire03

Established Member
Ive seen that dudes car with the powder coated parts. Looks sick. But if i dont have the chance to do that, ill atleast have good condition parts to put on the car. And back ups in case or for sale. That guy on the corral said he wasn't rich....bs. That project had to cost 25-30k. Im working on a budget without a time line. I do want to get my car to show quality, where i won't be embarrassed to show it off. So i gotta go step by step, piece by piece. In the long run, i won't be upset about doing this. Im never selling the car. So if i want it to last i gotta keep the rust away.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
I feel ya...it's always..."wtf am I trying to do here, how much is too much".

My Cobra is a show winner but nothing is powder coated and I see a guy doing that it makes me want to follow suit but there's always going to be somebody else with a nicer car so I guess I'm done with mine as it is.

NJredfire03

Established Member
I feel ya...it's always..."wtf am I trying to do here, how much is too much".

My Cobra is a show winner but nothing is powder coated and I see a guy doing that it makes me want to follow suit but there's always going to be somebody else with a nicer car so I guess I'm done with mine as it is.

Exactly, i always try to put out of my head that i want the best conra possible. All i know is that i want it nice and respectable.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Agreed...it will be worth it. I did most of mine but still could use some detail on my k member...looks fine but could be...ya know...something. Idk I'll probably just wipe it down real well maybe try to wax it or something.

Users who are viewing this thread