Pulling the DOHC heads

MouTine

Established Member
Quick question... Can I pull away cylinder heads with stock headers still atached? And can I put heads back with shortyes allready installed? Thanl you.

Tyler72

Established Member
Its going to be a lot easier to get them off it fyou drop the engine. It may seem like a lot of extra work, but its not bad at all. In all seriousness it would probably save you time.

caliboy08

Established Member
Can the heads be removed with the manifolds still attached? Yes. I did that back in '06 when i didn't have access to a cherry picker/air tools. I too had a blown hg.

There are a few head bolts on the d/s near the hydro-boost that won't come all the way out. You will have to pull them up as far as possible and tie/tape them to the cam towers. Other than that, they will come right out.

As others before me have stated, It's much easier to pull the k and drop the motor out the bottom or use a cherry picker and pull it from the top. MUCH quicker!

MouTine

Established Member
Ok thanks guys. I'm try to get my car somewhere where I can repair it before winter hit hard. I'll let you know what solution I came up.

Damn, I'm just so tired to do this kind of jobs.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
Ok thanks guys. I'm try to get my car somewhere where I can repair it before winter hit hard. I'll let you know what solution I came up.

Damn, I'm just so tired to do this kind of jobs.

I've got room here in San Clemente ca. and you don't have to worry about winter.

MouTine

Established Member
I've got room here in San Clemente ca. and you don't have to worry about winter.
Carefull what you wish for. Me and my gf have dreamed of visiting there for next winter or year next.

After litle investigations I'm not sure anymore is it blown head gasket. Car seems to run and idle smooth, plugs are fine, no heavy steam. Just loosing one expansion tank of coolant per every 600km / 372mls without any trace. All this started after I pour one bottle of WaterWetter.

autosay97

Established Member
It will work fine, I did it with longtubes and a tubular k lol. Heads with manifolds attached are heavy though, find a cherry picker.

BigTang

Breakin' Stuff
Established Member
besides tracking the coolant consumption what else have you done?

you may be able to smell exhaust in the coolant

have you checked the front of the motor to see if the water pump is leaking?

any water in the oil?

any evidence of exhaust coming out of the oil fill cap? pushing the dipstick out?

if the gaskets are gone there's not much you can do besides swap them out, but you can run some dye in the coolant and see if there is a leak anywhere else.

MouTine

Established Member
besides tracking the coolant consumption what else have you done?

you may be able to smell exhaust in the coolant

have you checked the front of the motor to see if the water pump is leaking?

any water in the oil?

any evidence of exhaust coming out of the oil fill cap? pushing the dipstick out?

if the gaskets are gone there's not much you can do besides swap them out, but you can run some dye in the coolant and see if there is a leak anywhere else.

Good point. Actually nothing. There's no any visual leaks. Exhaust doesn't smell antifreez, just normal catless. No water in oil or other symptons.

My point was that WaterWetter made coolant more penetrateing and if there is a smell leak it could leak there. I suppose you know the purpose of WaterWetter? I put it into there bc I was on German autobahns and Nurburing last summer. It's not any kind of leaking repair stuff.

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
do this- fill the expansion tank, leave cap off- crank the car-go see what the coolant is doing, if there are bubbles- how big and how rapidly? if it is just lowering in level- you probably just had a large air pocket that is now filling with coolant. how much did you initially put in?

MouTine

Established Member
do this- fill the expansion tank, leave cap off- crank the car-go see what the coolant is doing, if there are bubbles- how big and how rapidly? if it is just lowering in level- you probably just had a large air pocket that is now filling with coolant. how much did you initially put in?
No bubbles at all. Coolant level just rises along with temperature and somewhere at 120F* / 50C* it will flood over if I eaven touch the throtle. Is this normal? I think it is normal with modern engines with pressurized cooling system with expansion tanks, not with older type cooling system without expansion tank and only cap in top of radiator. Right?

But in the other hand... If I rew & heat up engine into 190-200F* with the cap normaly closed and then shut the engine and carefully open cap, there is just normal pressure escapeing but not throwing coolant at all.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
Carefull what you wish for. Me and my gf have dreamed of visiting there for next winter or year next.

After litle investigations I'm not sure anymore is it blown head gasket. Car seems to run and idle smooth, plugs are fine, no heavy steam. Just loosing one expansion tank of coolant per every 600km / 372mls without any trace. All this started after I pour one bottle of WaterWetter.

Let me know. Have you checked your expansion tank cap out. Had one on a Taurus that let coolant escape while driving.

Users who are viewing this thread