Pulling Motor

Big Q

Established Member
So I'm getting ready to pull my engine on my 14, wanted to know if there are any tips/tricks I should be aware of? Don't have access to a lift so my plan is to go out the top with it, currently the drive shaft is out of the car so I was planning on just disconnecting the trans and lowering it down on the trans jack as low as it will go so I'm not worrying about trying to support it at the bell in case I have to lower the car to get the cherry picker high enough to clear the car with the motor using a leveler. Let me know if I'm missing something from the list below?

1) Remove hood
2) Remove intake and fuel associated hoses and wiring
3) Remove radiator and hoses
4) Disconnect and separate trans
5) Disconnect AC compressor lines, can engine be pulled with compressor?
6) Disconnect engine grounds, EPAS plugs, steering shaft have to go?
7) Disconnect Alternator wire
8) Remove motor mounts

Anything else?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
sounds like you have it under control...You don't have to remove the motor mounts from the k-member, just remove the single top nut on both mounts with a 15mm socket/wrench. Not sure if you will have to disconnect the steering shaft, believe the with the stock headers you should be able to clear it from the top. With the intake manifold off there are 4 threaded bosses in the valley that you will connect the engine leveling bracket to.

the5

Established Member
Thanks, wish before the winter modding I would have parked it with a little more room up front, gonna have to use the picker from the side...

I would advise against that, or at least remove the fender on that side.

Torchy

Established Member
I decompressed my AC system before the car was down. Then you can simply disconnect the AC lines and leave the compressor on the motor and then take compressor off once motor is out and on stand. Also you will not be able to remove the compressor with motor in the car or you have to completely remove the EPAS which would be silly since your coming out of the top. The studs are too long that hold the compressor to block.

Also make sure you have a long/heavy duty cherry picker. The basic short ones won't work. Like the other dude said. Use the 4 threaded tabs on top of valley.

Tx5.0

Established Member
Remove the front bumper to give yourself more room, I didn't do it and it left a mark on it =(

BigmotoXer

Established Member
I decompressed my AC system before the car was down. Then you can simply disconnect the AC lines and leave the compressor on the motor and then take compressor off once motor is out and on stand. Also you will not be able to remove the compressor with motor in the car or you have to completely remove the EPAS which would be silly since your coming out of the top. The studs are too long that hold the compressor to block.

Also make sure you have a long/heavy duty cherry picker. The basic short ones won't work. Like the other dude said. Use the 4 threaded tabs on top of valley.

I unbolt 3 a/c bolts and leave it lay in the engine bay then I don't have to recharge it.

And no need to take the front bumper of unless your hoist can't get close enough, but remove electric fan....condenser and radiator can stay.

Torchy

Established Member
I unbolt 3 a/c bolts and leave it lay in the engine bay then I don't have to recharge it.

And no need to take the front bumper of unless your hoist can't get close enough, but remove electric fan....condenser and radiator can stay.

So let the compressor stay as motor is coming up? Probably not a bad idea either. And agreed, this motor only needs to come forward about 1-2 inches (once MM studs are cleared) and then straight up so you can get by with leaving radiator in but yes fan does need to come out. Also def no need to pull front bumper unless you have a short picker.

Big Q

Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys, ended up pulling compressor and just wiring it in place so I didn't have to mess with the lines. Couple more connections to disconnect and it will be ready to pull.

Users who are viewing this thread