Pulling Motor - What to do while it's out?

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I posted this in the New Edge Cobra section but didn't get much in terms of input, thought I'd post in here since it's more of a general question anyway:

Okay, so a few of you may have come across this thread a few months ago:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...gine-started-knocking-this-morning&highlight=

Well, since then, I've only started the car a handful of times to move it in and out of the garage, hasn't been on the road since. I was originally going to take it to one of two local performance shops to see what they could do with it, but I have since decided to pull the motor and transmission on my own, remove both valve covers and the timing cover, and see if there is something blatantly loose or worn that I can fix on my own.

My question is, while the motor and transmission are out, what are some things that make sense for me to take care of? So far, my list is:

-Fix (or have fixed) whatever is causing the knocking/tapping (timing kit, etc.)
-Powdercoat valve covers and replace all seals
-Spark plugs
-New timing cover gasket kit
-EGR delete & install MAC longtubes
-Clutch kit & flywheel (replace or resurface)
-Clean/re-oil filter on JLT
-Clean firewall and engine bay overall
-Head cooling mod, maybe?

Any other suggestions? Am looking to pull the engine & transmission later this fall.

FYI, motor has 100k miles on it.

Thanks.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
Head cooling mod from cobra engineering.
Solid motor mounts
If suspension is your thing then now is a great time for a k-member swap
Wire tuck is easier at this stage for most of it
Line lock
Get ahold of tractionless for a silicon hose kit.

I could give you a huge list, but if you have a budget that really decides where u go parts wise. I would let the health of your engine and goals for it determine anything else you do

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Well, my budget is more or less to fix whatever the issue is for as cheap as possible and take care of a handful of things that have been piling up (the valve covers, etc.). The motor is strong with no issues other than the tapping/knocking from the valve or timing cover. It's not a track car, just sees the street on nice days and weekends - not really looking to tear into the motor or mess with the heads unless I have to.

03slaminator

Established Member
Lol well, I'll tell you what I did when I pulled my engine out, I did a color change on my car. I loved the mineral grey but I just had to go green. Everyone kept telling me I was making a mistake by going the color I did, but I knew it was gonna look good. Iv had just a couple people tell me that they don't like it but tons and tons of people tell me they love it. All my friends that begged me not to go that color can't believe how good it looks green.

But your car looks good black. So I wouldn't suggest changing it. Nice car by the way!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread