Pulling a Cobra Motor - What part of the job do you LEAST enjoy?

Martin6107

Established Member
This forum is full of threads about pulling Cobra motors. The first one I did was a time consuming learning experience, but not terribly difficult thanks to the internet and a collection of Ford and Chilton's manuals laying around.

This morning I was thinking about my current swap project, reflecting on the work ahead and started thinking about what part of an engine swap I least enjoy - getting those darn bolts between the exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters lose gets me - on every engine removal job. :cryying: It seems that the project gods find new ways to torment me with challenges and there is so little room with a Cobra motor . In the end, I always win ... BUT ... getting those bolts off has become my least favorite part about removing a motor on a Cobra or any other Mustang. Thankfully. that part is done on this project and the rebuilding is under way.

So ... What is YOUR least favorite part about removing a Cobra motor?

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Least favorite.....Not knowing where to start!!!!

I'm approaching my Coyote swap and have NEVER pulled a motor before...think it'll be disconnecting all the lines and fittings to the engine then actually the pull of the motor itself.

98BABCobra

Established Member
I think my least favorite part is disconnecting/removing all of the miscellaneous things that have to be done before actually pulling the engine (i.e. wiring harness, front accessory drive, exhaust, drive shaft, draining fluids, etc.)

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
For my own personal safety reasons I pull the tranny before pulling the motor. But I hate F'ing with the tranny. Tilting it too much and there goes Mercon all out the tailhousing.

-Mark

nestmendoza98

Established Member
getting the power steering pump off. I always remove the pulley first then the pump. I never disconnect the lines because it always makes a huge mess so I leave the pump dangling. Ive broken 3 removal tools and 7 pulley installers. lol least favorite part for sure.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Personally, I find removing the engine to be not that difficult. It becomes easier as you learn the little tricks and shortcuts each time you do it. Having done the jobs a few times now myself, if my car weren't forced induction, I bet I could get it done in probably 2 hours give or take.

removing the starter for sure.

Get a tubular k-member and it becomes one of the easiest jobs on the car.

For my own personal safety reasons I pull the tranny before pulling the motor. But I hate F'ing with the tranny. Tilting it too much and there goes Mercon all out the tailhousing.

-Mark

I'd have to agree with with this. The transmission sucks the most. Some of the upper bell-housing bolts are very difficult to see and are a real pain to get to. Couple that with not having a transmission jack and it's just not a good time in general. In regards to losing fluid, I've taken to rubber-banding a latex glove over the tailshaft housing. It keeps a significant amount of the mess off of the garage floor.

Last edited:

laddanator

Established Member

-Mark

Personally, I find removing the engine to be not that difficult. It becomes easier as you learn the little tricks and shortcuts each time you do it. Having done the jobs a few times now myself, if my car weren't forced induction, I bet I could get it done in probably 2 hours give or take.

Get a tubular k-member and it becomes one of the easiest jobs on the car.

I'd have to agree with with this. The transmission sucks the most. Some of the upper bell-housing bolts are very difficult to see and are a real pain to get to. Couple that with not having a transmission jack and it's just not a good time in general. In regards to losing fluid, I've taken to rubber-banding a latex glove over the tailshaft housing. It keeps a significant amount of the mess off of the garage floor.

I had an old drive shaft. I took the end off from the U Joints that goes into the transmission. When I'm ready to pull the tranny, I install that part from the drive shaft made for that end, little electric tape to keep the part from sliding back out on tilt and no transmission fluid mess.

Users who are viewing this thread