pullied 03 cobra vs cammed 02 z28

z-unit

Established Member
This was my first run with the new cam in so I was excited as hell :rolling: . So I pulled up to a light and see a bright red cobra up in front and decided to wait on the chick-fil-a to get a good run in. Funny thing was when the light turned green he waited for me to come up so I guess he saw me back there behind him. So as soon as I get close the dude takes off before I can even get up next to him....ok :fm: . Finally we stop at a light and I say on green and he says no that it will spin too bad. Well I have street tire too so we decided to go from 30(which wasnt much better).

FIRST RUN: We line up at 30 and on the 3rd honk we're gone. Spun a through first, but so did he as I shift to second I notice Im starting to slowly pull ahead. We shut down at 110 with me 1 car ahead :rockon: . We stop at the next light and I ask if it was pullied and of course it was(cant really find any that aren't now days)and he had exhaust and intake. He asked if mine was cammed (as if he couldnt hear it lope) and I said yeah. He tells me his buddy can't drive for shat and that he drives an all wheel drive car. Apparently he wasn't shifting right and that's why I got him. So they switch and now the owner is driving.

SECOND RUN: We line up at 30 again and I honk it off. We take off at the same time he pulled about half a car, but when he shifted to 2nd I pulled right back up to him and stayed right there side by side till 130. Next light we stopped at he said damn that was a dead even run! I asked what he dynoed (now this is where I get skeptical) and he told me 490rwhp :rollseyes . From those races I know he is NOT putting down 490rwhp. I got 390 maybe a little more, but either way Im getting beat down if he has 490rwhp. I was guessing anywhere from 430-450 is more like it. We ran a couple more rolls with him pulling a little or me pulling a little, but mostly even. I gave them a thumbs up and they did the same. Im very pleased with the new cam. :banana:

StangJason

Established Member
Nice kill and races.

His car may have dyno'd 490rwhp but it doesn't mean his car was making it that day. My car lost 20rwhp at it's last dyno because it was blowing the spark out and I didn't realize it until the dyno. I changed plugs and it seems better now.

Also my car dyno'd only 452rwhp but people that have ridden in my car swear it feels much faster and I do to after owning one that made 70 rwhp more. I think it boils down to dyno's being a measuring tool of horsepower more than an accurate judge of 1/4 mile times.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
good kill.. most pullied cobras are like 450rwhp... so it would make a good race for you and your 390 rwhp. i would think he would ahve the edge if he had any more than 450rwhp, even 450rwhp seems like its capable of gettin you by 1/3 car or so LOL

slow trans am

well he's probly exagerating a little bit on his numbers. also he had a passenger, and you didn't? that passenger of his could of cost him a car or so. either way good runs, sounds like your car is running strong.

like said above, dynos are for tuning not racing. numbers give and idea. dynos numbers don't win races.

Last edited by a moderator:

z-unit

Established Member
cutout was open!

450rwhp was what i was thinking. I got 390 the day the cam was installed maybe it's getting a little stonger with the break in (dont really know how all that breakin stuff works)

Yes he had a passenger. His friend drove first he was the jackass. Then at the light the owner got in the drivers seat.

StangJason

Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
good kill.. most pullied cobras are like 450rwhp... so it would make a good race for you and your 390 rwhp. i would think he would ahve the edge if he had any more than 450rwhp, even 450rwhp seems like its capable of gettin you by 1/3 car or so LOL

I put about 2 cars on a H/C/I LS1 here from a 25mph roll up to the top of 3rd or bottom of 4th where I was at a slow pull when . I imagine my driver mod was working that night because most people on here seem to believe I'd have no chance of winning.

SVTim

Beer Me!
Established Member
ive raced a H/C 99 z28, from 40 i just walked him, by 140 i had maybe 1 1/2 to 2 cars. we raced probably 3-4 times and the same results everytime. surprised me for sure.

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
every H/C/I combo aren't created equal. you have guys who just throw on all the big boy toys such as AFR 225 heads, a MS3/Trex/G5X3/ or some other big cam and a fast intake on a 346ci bottom with stock 3.42s.. Obviously, that setup is going to run crappy b/c that combo is too big for the displacement. Then you'll have the good guys who has doen their research and have created a well matched combo such as AFR 205s, Torquer 2 or 224 cam, LS6 intake, now that combo is going to make some good midrange and topend. eventhough the AFR 205s and cam are much smaller than the AFR 225s and the BIG cam, the smaller combo makes more area under the curve and is better matched to the 346ci displacement and 3.42s....That is why I say all H/C/I combos are not created equal. so combos are weak and some are strong.

EX. there was a guy in my town that i pulled from a roll. he has a '99 tuned & cammed z28. cam specs are 232/234 .595lift 112LSA and dyno'd 384rwhp. at the track he ran 12.8s @ 114
my C5 6spd at the time only had longtubes and tune and did 353rwhp and ran 12.4s @ 115

that camaro should have beaten me theoretically, but his combo was slop.
for one, he has the stock 3.42 gearing with a top end cam. the cam he had should be used with 4.10 gearing. two, he still had the ls1 intake manifold which was choking the cam on the big end. and three, he had the stock LS1 heads with the 853 castings. you see here he is choking that cam and has significantly narrowed his useable powerband. if he add 4.10s, ported heads, and ls6 intake, that car is going to run hard.

Last edited:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
I put about 2 cars on a H/C/I LS1 here from a 25mph roll up to the top of 3rd or bottom of 4th where I was at a slow pull when . I imagine my driver mod was working that night because most people on here seem to believe I'd have no chance of winning.

well like above said... not all HCI LS1's are the same.. some guys run 224 cams some guys run cams that spec out like 237/242 or some high numbers like that. thats quite a noticeable difference in power. and it depends on your mods too. but again, HCI LS1 can run push 10s to mid low 11's to mid higher 12's... all depends on the heads/cam used.

Users who are viewing this thread