pulley swap question

termynator

Established Member
my 04 cobra still has the stock pulley on it. my question is can i just bolt a smaller pulley on or do i need to have it tuned? i do have a predator tuner for the car.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Technically, I believe it depends upon the size of the upper pulley you plan to install.
The factory tune is extremely fat, but if you plan on installing the standard pulleys (2.76, 2.80, 2.93, etc) you will definitely need a tune.

Here's a rule of thumb...check your A/F ratio every time your modify the amount of air intake. If you then need a tune, tune it. If not, don't.

A general (and correct) response would be that yes, you need a tune for a pulley swap.

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
You will definately need a tune, and a dyno tune is prefered. If you go with a 2.76 you will probably need a maf extender and boosta pump as well. If you are only doing a 3.1 or 2.93 you shouldn't.

Also, don't forget about plugs, a smaller superchager belt, and idlers. Keep doing your research and you will find what's best for you. Good luck.

Dans02gt

Established Member
my 04 cobra still has the stock pulley on it. my question is can i just bolt a smaller pulley on or do i need to have it tuned? i do have a predator tuner for the car.

If you do a pulley just like others have said you will need different spark plugs and possibly a belt depending on what pulley and idlers you go with. The idlers are optional but recommended. Now on my 03 with at 2.76 pulley, I did not need a maf extender or a boost a pump. It seems every car is different. There have been people on here that have needed them and there have been people that have not, it all just depends on the car. You will love the way the car drives with a smaller pulley.

Stalker27

Established Member
Whole diff animal with my 275. I freaking love it. I on the other hand had to have a MAFia. Also I DO recomend a BAP for the 275-276 pulley. Why?? Yeah some can get by without it but my fuel pump duty cycles are only 65% at WOT. Is it needed maybe not but me personally don't want to push my pumps to 80% or more. They will just wear out faster. When you get a pulley I would HIGHLY suggest you get a tune. Much better than that canned crap. You need to put it on the dyno to see what the car is doing. In my case I am so glad I did. That's how I found out I had a bad fuel pump and my duty cycles shot up to 100%. Had I put on the pulley myself and used a canned tune or emal tune I would have deff ruined that motor. For what going cheap?? Do it the right way

Users who are viewing this thread