Pulley Swap on a 01GT D1SC

2V99GT

SVT God
Established Member
yes the blower comes off. take the belt off the alt pulley using the tensioner. may have to move some things out of your way like coolant hoses and what not. loosen the three nuts on the bracket that hold it on, and slide the head unit and bracket off as one. of course you will have to remove the piping/coupler on the discharge of the blower, and the inlet tube with the filter on it. use an impact gun to take the bolt off holding the pulley on. install new pulley and reverse the steps to get it back together. depending on how much of a pulley change you're doing, you might need a new belt. that's just a basic rundown, hope it helps.

THAITED

Established Member
On my Paxton, a while back the mechanic who built my engine did it without taking out a blower. All he did was to take out the belt and the alternator. The impact gun barely fits but it worked. Your D1SC probably has a different bracket. If it's anything like the Vortech V2SQ, then yes you will have to take it out.

Last edited:

01SilverGt

Established Member
sounds good guys... Only question is why does the pulley have to be taken off with an impact gun? Why not just a regular ratchet or wrench?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's easier to use the impact. Otherwise you have to find a way to keep the pulley from turning.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Without an impact you would have to have something keeping it from freely rotating. (Imagine removing a rim with vehicle jacked up, with an impact it's no problem...however with just a breaker bar you would need to hold the rim from rotating.)

THAITED

Established Member
Unless you want to use the ratchet to hold the impeller nut to keep the pulley from turning which I wouldn't do.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Run up to the local tire shop and have them zip it off, you change pulleys and they can zip it back together.

If they charged, it couldn't be more then $5 I wouldn't think.

THAITED

Established Member
Run up to the local tire shop and have them zip it off, you change pulleys and they can zip it back together.

If they charged, it couldn't be more then $5 I wouldn't think.

Good idea, sometime they do it for free so you can go back to them in the future for other stuffs.

Users who are viewing this thread