Pulley Swap... Could Use Some Help Here.

1HurtinAlbertan

Established Member
Hey guys,
I feel like such an idiot. I got a loaner pulley puller/install tool from a local performance shop and bought a pulley and snub idler from a member on here (who is awesome, by the way).

The instructions were very vague, and basically I didn't realize that there were threads inside of the snout shaft when I started. There is a small stud inside the larger bolt of the puller tool and the first time I set it up, I accidentally threaded it into the snout threads. But I didn't realize that there was a little plastic cap covering it, I thought it was all just a solid piece. So the center of the little plastic cover became buried into the threads and now I could only get it threaded in about 1/4". Well, when I threaded it in to install the new pulley, it just simply pulls out and strips the threads inside the snout shaft. I tried tapping it onto the snout shaft out of frusteration and now I'm afraid I've damaged the blower, or something.

Sigh.

Does anybody have any sort of suggestions, or soloutions for either repairing the snout threads, or getting this new pulley on without needing to utilize the threads inside of the snout?

Also wondering what the thread depth is inside of the snout shaft?

Thanks in advance. Please refrain from telling me how stupid I look, I already feel worse about this than anyone could make me, but I'd really appreciate some insight....
:cuss:

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
Take the blower off and get the pulley pressed off on a hydraulic press machine and get the hub pressed on at the same time and be done with it but make sure its a quick change set up you install so you never have to go through that again. This is the way i did mine because i didnt like the tool set up and it was bending my pulley when i was trying to remove it. It worked for me!

SVT-FI$H2088

Fi$hmeister
Established Member
Mine was a pain too. Had 50k miles and never been pullied. Ended up bending the crap out of the stocker, but got it off. Good luck dude.

1HurtinAlbertan

Established Member
Thanks guys!
Phew! I was able to get a little screw driver in to pull out the plastic plug I jammed in there. Then I sort of chased the threads, and was finally able to thread the stud the whole way into the snout!
I am soooooooo relieved lol. I ran out of time, but plan on getting the pulley on tomorrow!
Thanks again to those who responded for the input!!
:beer:

1HurtinAlbertan

Established Member
Lol
Unbelievable!!!! I managed to get the stud into the snout, and cranked it. Now the damn threads inside the bolt part of the tool are shears right off.
Sigh. Where do you go to use a hydraulic press? I'm nearing my wits end here...

Users who are viewing this thread