Pulley - Lower vs. Upper

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
My goal for my Cobra is 450rwhp and at least 450rwtrq, would I be better off getting a 6lb lower or a 2.8 upper. I currently only have a K&N FIPK and plan on getting a catback. I will also get a tune with the pulley choice.

From what I have seen since becoming a member of these boards, a lower pulley produces more torque than the uppers.

jophis37

Established Member
if you wanted to keep the stock look you could go w/ just the lower. Though I have 450 hp and 479 tq w/ a 2.76 and it's not enough for me.

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
Do lowers cause belt slip without idlers like the uppers do? Can anyone recommend a good lower, lb and manufacterer.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
lafave said:
Do lowers cause belt slip without idlers like the uppers do? Can anyone recommend a good lower, lb and manufacterer.

That's not possible..a lower add's size, not reduce it like a upper pulley. i am getting a 2# lower for my 2.8 upper seeing i also have a 2.93 upper to switch out to for daily driving,hopefully there will be little to no slip.

RiffRaff04

Established Member
If you are 100% sure that you will be happy with 450/450 then I would go with a 2.8 upper. If you plan on making bigger #'s though it would be best to go upper/lower combo.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
I agree with the above....2.8 with what little thats in my sig and thats good for 450/469! But like almost everybody else I want more!!!

davbrucas

Banned
i say send the blower for porting to stieg first...then add the 2.93upper with 4# lower. 500/500 easily...

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
LOL, I know what you guys mean. The thing is, I can't afford to break stuff because it is my daily driver. Once I buy a truck for my daily, all of this goes out the window. LOL

RiffRaff04

Established Member
lafave said:
LOL, I know what you guys mean. The thing is, I can't afford to break stuff because it is my daily driver. Once I buy a truck for my daily, all of this goes out the window. LOL
Dude, your talking to the wrong crowd here :burnout: . I was originally just gonna go with a 2.9 upper, exhaust, shifter and CAI... now look at my sig :-D . Dont be too scared about breaking stuff, these cars can take a good bit of punishment, JUST DONT GET TOO GREEDY with the power and whatever you do make sure you get a good tune by a reputable tuner like Amazon :beer: .

SVTspeed

Established Member
is a 2.76 upper with the idler kit.. everyday driveable i planned on getting it.. the car currently would have exhaust.intake.midpipe. then adding the upper, idler kit, and obviously a tune? SO is that everyday driveable?

SVTspeed

Established Member
most pple suggest a 74.5 belt with that also.. some say 75.1 but get slip many pple chanegd to a 74.5 and get no slip!

jophis37

Established Member
SVTspeed said:
is a 2.76 upper with the idler kit.. everyday driveable i planned on getting it.. the car currently would have exhaust.intake.midpipe. then adding the upper, idler kit, and obviously a tune? SO is that everyday driveable?[/QUOT

I drive that everyday, I aslo can't afford to brake anything, But a good tune is key to great #'s I had 450/453 w/ the predator tune, I switched it out for a rwtd tune and picked up 26 mor TQ. I am now going to put on lower pulley. And btw I am running a 2.76 w/ 3 100mm idlers from bf, no slip on the stock 75.1 belt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread