Pulley alignment

bssmith1220

Established Member
Does this look normal? Billetflow aux idler and billetflow hub/pulley. I would have thought belt would ride more in center of idler.

Attachments

• IMG_4968.JPG
    IMG_4968.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4832.JPG
    IMG_4832.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 131

bssmith1220

Established Member
So I bought this blower from a guy on here that has the old style billetflow aux idler. His belt rides in the middle. Same exact pulley hub, same exact upper. On my car with a brand new billetflow idler it looks like picture above. Will this be ok?

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I'd say no. The bearing won't like it, and they don't last long even when properly aligned.
If it were me I would re-machine the idler bracket snout shoulder down just enough to get it to work.

bssmith1220

Established Member
I'd say no. The bearing won't like it, and they don't last long even when properly aligned.
If it were me I would re-machine the idler bracket snout shoulder down just enough to get it to work.
How am I supposed to "remachine" the idler bracket? Good grief I'm lucky I can bolt on parts. Lol

bssmith1220

Established Member
I think this is the issue. Shouldn't this shoulder on the aux bracket sit flush with the pulley bearing? That's about how off it is of alignment.

Attachments

• IMG_4985.JPG
    IMG_4985.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 88

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I think this is the issue. Shouldn't this shoulder on the aux bracket sit flush with the pulley bearing? That's about how off it is of alignment.
No, a gap is needed so the bolt can pull it tight.

The hub/pulley on the blower need to be aligned with the rest of the pulleys on that belt. If not it will squeal/squeak and drive you F'n crazy.

With some patience and care, a grinder or even a file can be used to take material off the shoulder to move the idler back. Don't touch the smaller part the bearing ID rides on, just the material that the back of the bearing bottom out on.
BUT before you do anything to it, take a strait edge and verify the blower pulley alignment.

MG0h3

Established Member
I'll look at mine when I get home but I'm on a Whipple.

Take the idler off. Either measure or eyeball where the bearing would ride on the bracket in relation to the blower pulley.

I bet the bearing is very close to dead center with your blower pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread