Pulled the Head - Good News? Long... + Lots of Pics

MaxPower

She likes Spaghetti
Established Member
So I managed to get the passenger head off. I don't think it's TOO terribly bad? The cylinder walls all look pretty good, a slight amount of glazing on the bad cylinder, but only on one side of the wall, about 1-1/2" wide. No bad scars, and the piston looks fine.

Ok, so here's the problem. Melted insert?!? This insert has been allowing air/combustion into the spark plug well for some time, but never realized it would be slowly melting itself away?!
dsc02454fn8.jpg

Close-up:

dsc02454cropit9.jpg

Here's the plug as it came out after I started to get a bad "pop". This was before I replaced it and tried taking it out for another ride, not knowing the extent of damage:

dsc02191zc4.jpg

dsc02192dv7.jpg

The cylinder that had the leaking head gasket:

dsc02448ul7.jpg

dsc02445as0.jpg

I've been pulling that plug for some time, and each time I did, it had "burn" type marks around the base of the porcelain, and the anti seize I used was always sprayed back into the spark plug well, up the plug. I thought it was I needed the crush-washer type plug, but that didn't make a difference.

dsc02451sy8.jpg

Could this be why I had oil in my intake galley?! This is #5, seemed to be the worst.
dsc02459yu3.jpg

I had oil in the intake galley (NOT from pcv, since they're completely out of the intake), and in all the runners but #6 (the bad insert cylinder):

dsc02215yx1.jpg

Every piston wet with oil:

dsc02449fk8.jpg

So what's the verdict? Is my head useless now, or can it be welded?

Users who are viewing this thread