Pulled over on assumption

cohhbra

Established Member
Well it's pretty obvious a cobra with an o/r x-pipe and borla stingers is loud, but not when cruising at 1700rpm. I was given an exhaust ticket for exactly that and told that anything that wasn't stock is illegal. Well how did the officer know my exhaust wasn't stock, it's a 500hp cobra of course it will be loud sometimes, especially if she didn't have a decibel meter to tell? How is this legal that I can be charged with something that an officer has no proof of other than "yea, it didn't sound stock." What is the extent of what cops are allowed to interpret; what I mean is how much water does their word hold without concrete evidence? If your going to charge me with an exhaust ticket then I want to see the evidence of you testing how many decibels my car made it to.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
It may not be loud by an enthusiast's standards, but a car with a catback at 1700 RPMs will be louder than a stock car at 1700 RPMs, with the tone also being different. We all know this, and not all officers are automotively retarded.

That's called an observation, not an assumption.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
+1 on state. And some cops are car people too. Not too hard to tell at any speed when an exhaust isn't legal.

So let's recap on post #4. Op bitching bc he got a ticket for illegal exhaust, and in fact his exhaust is illegal. That about sums it up.

Next

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
that is possibly correct depending on where you live.

here its that way, any aftermarket mods that are meant to improve performance are illegal. its not too terribly enforced tho.

obviously cop is a chevy guy.

cohhbra

Established Member
Yes, I am bitching, about her lack of proof, no I am not bitching that an my exhaust is against the law; I knowingly choose to break said law. What I said was how did she just automatically assume it wasn't stock. What I was saying is it is a cobra, of course it's louder than most cars stock so what was her basis for pulling me over, she followed me for a mile before she did anything and I saw where she was sitting when I passed and so I know my car never got above 1700rpm. I'm innocent until proven guilty right, well her saying the car didn't sound stock isn't proof by any means it seems, especially when there are devices that the police offices have access to that determine a sounds loudness.

And if anyone wants to make a fight about it, then yes, I'm pissed that I got caught. I said it, I'm not remorseful or upset or sad obviously, I'm am angry that I was caught without lack of evidence and I was not able to use the legal system against her and that's what I'm questioning. How come her word holds so much water. She's a cop, not a mechanic, so how can she say with an "expert" opinion it was a non stock exhaust. Basically, what was I not able to get out of it based on circumstances.

Virginia is the state

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
She accused you of something. She is not the judge.

If you don't agree take it to court and see a judge.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
did you ask her?

maybe the loud ass noise gave it away?

its not hard to tell to the trained ear what is supposed to be stock and what isnt, also a quick glance gives it away.

her experience is also something to consider.

maybe the department, in conjunction with neighborhood complaints is cracking down on those types of issues.

so, your plan is to go to court, admit she is right, but argue how she knew she was right?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Well it's pretty obvious a cobra with an o/r x-pipe and borla stingers is loud, but not when cruising at 1700rpm. I was given an exhaust ticket for exactly that and told that anything that wasn't stock is illegal. Well how did the officer know my exhaust wasn't stock, it's a 500hp cobra of course it will be loud sometimes, especially if she didn't have a decibel meter to tell? How is this legal that I can be charged with something that an officer has no proof of other than "yea, it didn't sound stock." What is the extent of what cops are allowed to interpret; what I mean is how much water does their word hold without concrete evidence? If your going to charge me with an exhaust ticket then I want to see the evidence of you testing how many decibels my car made it to.

He was right wasnt he? Go to court and tell the judge "there is no way the officer could know my illegal exhaust was illegal."

musclefan21

Established Member
well is your exhaust louder than stock?

if yes, then why are you complaining?

TonyUMD

If I hear that again...
Established Member
He was right wasnt he? Go to court and tell the judge "there is no way the officer could know my illegal exhaust was illegal."

:burn:

She stopped you. She was right. She gave you a ticket. :shrug: She gets paid to know when and how to issue citations. :bored:
I guess i 'd be upset too if i was given a citation, but you knew it was coming.

Mystic03

Established Member
instead of bringing it to svtp and getting bashed for having an o/r x with 98% of svtp do your homework and if you have a chance at getting it dismissed then go for it just remember they have to prove 51% against you (dont remember the actual lingo of how its said) but good luck

reivaxtorres

im slow...i promise!
Established Member
And if anyone wants to make a fight about it, then yes, I'm pissed that I got caught. I said it, I'm not remorseful or upset or sad obviously, I'm am angry that I was caught without lack of evidence and I was not able to use the legal system against her and that's what I'm questioning. How come her word holds so much water. She's a cop, not a mechanic, so how can she say with an "expert" opinion it was a non stock exhaust. Basically, what was I not able to get out of it based on circumstances.

Virginia is the state

a crown vic isnt that much quieter than a STOCK cobra, and a cobra, regardless of how fast its going or what RPM it's at, will be louder when it has any kind of exhaust. just my $.02

Explosive

Established Member
I got some seat time in a 2011 GT500 and was shocked as to how loud the stock exhaust is. Even at the lower RPM's. I think it was right up there with my magnapacks if not louder.

OP, what the hell do you thinks going to happen when you say **** off prove it's too loud ? They're going to grab a DB meter. go outside and have you rev the car and when it fails they'll say pay up or fix it and come back to prove it's legal.

This has happened to my friend before.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Because it's not that simple in all states. It's legal to modify your exh here as long as you are under a DB reading set by the year of your car.

The OP already stated, before Erdal made the post you quoted, that anything not stock was illegal.

Louder than stock means not stock. It is that simple in the OPs state (assuming everything he and the LEO said was correct).

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Because it's not that simple in all states. It's legal to modify your exh here as long as you are under a DB reading set by the year of your car.

The fact the OP has O/R X-pipes makes it illegal in all 50 states.

CPRsm

I know, and I'll tread lightly and say I've been told half truths while stopped before. I didn't see a state, so I'm going with the possibility the same happened here. Without the state it's just jibba jab.

Ohhhh I just saw he edited it earlier today. Ohhhhh, it's VA. You're F'ed son lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread