Pulled over for passing a stop vehicle?? in MD

giz93cobra

AllWayz Sidewayz
Established Member
Yesterday while coming home from my app. at Civista on Washington ave. by the fire house, (Laplata MD) There was a car waiting near the double yellow lines, to make a left turn with lots of traffic. So myself and the 2 cars behind me went passed him on the right. I've done this dozens of times, Road and asphalt berm are wide enough for safe egress. A cop sitting at the firehouse pulled me over (since i was the first one on line I guess). And did the normal do you know why I pulled you over speech. I said no. He said you passed that car waiting to turn I was like OK and?? Thats against the law he said. Took my dl. and reg. ran them and gave me a warning and said it is a $110 fine that he saved me today (WHAT)!!! The warning states leaving the roadway while passing a vehicle. To me that sounds like I got behind a slow car and drove through someones yard to get around them???
Has anyone else heard of this. Is it a legit law for my circumstances. If so that would cause massive backups on some of these secondary roads waiting for some over cautious nimrod scared to make a left :shrug:

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Yes... it is illegal... here in my town anyways...

Unless there is a clearly marked 2nd lane in which you can merge to pass the vehicle
on the right, you cannot pass 2 wide in a single lane... although most everyone does
it, I myself included.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Yes it is illegal. it is illelgal in most states altho as I recall in Texas if the side of the road is IMPROVED i.e. not dirt or gravel it can be legal in some places. In Maryland it is illegal regardless of the situation (or was when I was there ) and the ticket is legit. be grateful he cut you a break and don't do it there again. Just because you have done it dozens of times without consequence does not mean it is any less illegal.

Yesterday while coming home from my app. at Civista on Washington ave. by the fire house, (Laplata MD) There was a car waiting near the double yellow lines, to make a left turn with lots of traffic. So myself and the 2 cars behind me went passed him on the right. I've done this dozens of times, Road and asphalt berm are wide enough for safe egress. A cop sitting at the firehouse pulled me over (since i was the first one on line I guess). And did the normal do you know why I pulled you over speech. I said no. He said you passed that car waiting to turn I was like OK and?? Thats against the law he said. Took my dl. and reg. ran them and gave me a warning and said it is a $110 fine that he saved me today (WHAT)!!! The warning states leaving the roadway while passing a vehicle. To me that sounds like I got behind a slow car and drove through someones yard to get around them???
Has anyone else heard of this. Is it a legit law for my circumstances. If so that would cause massive backups on some of these secondary roads waiting for some over cautious nimrod scared to make a left :shrug:

crankin

Established Member
yup its illegal in MD, I live 10 minutes from la plata. Let me guess, it was a La Plata cop? They dont have a whole lot going on in LaPlata besides traffic stops.

txyaloo

Established Member
Yes it is illegal. it is illelgal in most states altho as I recall in Texas if the side of the road is IMPROVED i.e. not dirt or gravel it can be legal in some places.

It's legal in all places in Texas to pass a car turning left on the right improved shoulder. It's dumb that isn't legal everywhere.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Some areas will prohibit left turns during peak traffic hours to prevent backups.

Some do not though.

OP, at least you didn't get a ticket.

bright blue

Established Member
It's illegal here as well. The problem is, when you are on a highway running 55 mph and a car is turning, if you go around on the shoulder, then the car behind you may not see the car stopped and rear end them.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I've never had trouble with that in IL.

This is one of the laws I've never understood. It's almost as if the law itself is condoning safety risk for people on the road, increase traffic jams, etc.

OP - At least you did not get a ticket for this.

Users who are viewing this thread