Puff of white smoke.

281CJ

Established Member
I used to get this puff a few weeks after putting a JLT RAI on the car. I had a TB, 90mm MAF, and pulleys put on and the car re-tuned and it went away. Now after putting the TB back I get the puff.

After taking off my twin 60MM TB and putting my stock back on I now get a puff of white smoke on start up on occasion. I took the TB off to fix a hanging rev problem, and now that issue is gone but I get this puff.

I'd take the JLT off and put my K&N back on but I don't have a 80mm housing at the moment.

Any ideas?

Mods:
catted X-pipe
cat-back
pulleys
90mm MAF
JLT RAI
intake spacer

Last edited:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Does it just happen during startup? Or does it also happen during acceleration?

Check the plugs to make sure they all have about the same color. I know it's drastic to assume you might have cylinder, head gasket, or piston damage, but they are easy to check, and it' s one thing to eliminate once you've checked them.

Any chance that your PCV valves are connected to the cold air intake? Oil could be getting in, and accumulating in the intake when the car is sitting. When you start it up, the oil burns off quickly. But you said it was white smoke. Usually oil burns blue/white, and water burns white.

Change the fuel filter, too. If it's been a while, there may be a chance that water is accumulating in the fuel filter when the car sits. Like I said before, it's a little far fetched, but it's a quick and easy possibility to eliminate. It's cheap insurance to change the filter also.

How many miles are on the car?

Homer

Users who are viewing this thread