Public vs Private vs Homeschool! Best education?

Which is best? (You can select multiple options)

• Public school offers the best education

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • Private school offers the best education

Votes: 61 56.5%
  • Homeschool offers the best education

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • I attended Public school

Votes: 64 59.3%
  • I attended Private school

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I attended Homeschool

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VictorySong

Established Member
What education system offers the best education and why? Also include which one you attended so we can see what formed your opinions. :D

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I'm sure there are great private and public schools, and there are bad private and public schools.

If the area has bad public schools and you can afford a good private school, then go for it... However, where I live, we have great public schools and it doesn't really make sense to spend more on a private school. I think it just depends on the area.

schwaebz98

ドリフト
Established Member
Honestly, I attended both at various parts of my life. I think it depends more on which state you live in, and the type of people that attended the school. I attended a public school in Arizona, and had a very good experience, and got a great level of education. My family moved to California, where I attended a public middle school. My education was considerably far ahead of other students, which made me a target for bullying. Up until that point, I never had that trouble. After a year of dealing with bullying problems that the school refused to do anything about, I went private school. Based on my location, it was a much better option.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
i think its the student rather than the school. I went to both public and private and nothing changed besides learning a military discipline. Teachers can help a little but most of the time its the students ability to focus on what needs to be done. If they are not focused on school then it will show in any environment. Best thing would be to find the strong point in a students academics and push them toward that. I ended up going into the automotive industry after a failed attempt at college. My parents and my high school guidance counselor fought for months over what I should do with my life after high school. Lets just say I should have listened to my guidance counselor instead of following what my parents wanted me to do.

FWIW, I went to a local private school for middle school, a public high school for 1 year and then went to military school for sophomore/junior/senior years + summer schools for each year. I attended a business college in for 1 trimester before leaving and attending Lincoln Tech. Graduated in automotive technology & theory and went on to work with Ford, Kia, Hyundai and for a little Suzuki.

flS/R

Established Member
depends on location. CA public schools are becoming a joke throughout most of the state. A better area in the state may provide better teaching. Right now most schools are only focused on teaching geared toward the state tests in an attempt to make it appear that students are learning and raise CA's ranking.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
I went private 11 years of my life, expelled my senior year. Private school(IMO) let you slip by, but the level of education I got was superior vs public...

With that said public wouldn't let you fall into cracks and squeak by, but coming from taking trigonometry my junior year vs not having to take math class my senior year since geometry wasn't hard, my vocabulary far exceeded what they had to offer me also.

If I could do it all over again I would go to military school, come out and do my enlisted time, been out and 21 and walked onto my police job, now at 23 I am still trying to be a police officer.

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Education is education no matter where you get it. It's up to the student if he/she wants to put the effort. More distractions at public schools/more students/more problems.

Lt_Crazy

Established Member
Education is education no matter where you get it. It's up to the student if he/she wants to put the effort. More distractions at public schools/more students/more problems.

Very true! Also teachers tend to care more in private schools!!!

U know what they say, u get what u pay for!

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I went to public schools k-12. I think my worst experience was in highschool (ghetto fights, teachers falling asleep in class, etc). I think if you really want what's best, private schools are the best. But I do think that there are decent public schools out there. I don't know too much anything about homeschooling

oldmodman

Established Member
I went to public schools right through grade 12. Luckily I was finished before they fell into to toilet. Plus the year after I graduated busing started. The younger kids that I knew still in HS said that the very day that "those kids" showed up student cars were broken into, fights were started, and lockers were broken into. School turned into a the worst sort of rat hole.

That was the semester that private schools really took off around me.

There is a VERY expensive private school close to me. It's the Le Lycée Français de Los Angeles. Tons of movie stars kids and almost all the children of diplomats go there. it has total security with armed diplomatic security corp personnel guarding both campuses.

I know two kids that friends have sent there. Smartest kids I have ever seen. The boy went directly from the Lycee into Caltech and is now teaching math and some type of Physics at UofT Austin.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Private military school. I went to public school k-5th and my parents hated the atmosphere. It was a small school, poor teachers, low graduating rates etc. I went to a private military school from 6-12 and loved it. Education alone was a little better than public school but the biggest difference was kids learning respect, leadership, common sense etc. You didn't have all the bs you have in public schools.

jrandy

Established Member
I went to private school from kindergarden through high school. During that time, I knew some dipshits that never applied themselves and never learned. A few dropped out of college and are working low end jobs.

I also was friends with people that went through public school and applied themselves and achieved great things in life.

It is all in your attitude and how much you want to learn.

I do feel as though I received a great education.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i attended both private and public schools. i taught in public schools for a few years. my sister and mother and a few friends are teachers/administrators in public schools (lausd). my daughter attends private school.

while there are fantastic teachers in public schools, there are many useless ones as well. the private schools ive dealt with, they dont have worthless teachers.

it really depends on the area. a wealthy friend has his kids in public school. i asked him why he didnt put them in private schools and he said there's no need. the local public schools where he lives are great. granted, private schools will always have a better student/teacher ratio which is a bonus and something you pay extra for. plus, private schools do not tolerate dickhead kids (most of them). you act like a jackass or are failing classes, they toss you out. they dont want you to be the bad apple that spoils the rest. my daughter was having some minor issues with a bully in her sixth grade class. i discussed it with the vp (not pissed or anything) and he called both girls in and seriously investigated it. he separately told the girl and her parents that if she continued to act the way she was she would no longer be attending the school. he nipped it in the bud real good, asap. after that, they became friends lol.

as a public school teacher who had some major pita students i know that you can complain and call parents and send the kid to the office 100 times and nothing really gets done. in a private school, they will be calling the parents and telling them that THEY need to get their kid in shape or they will be leaving the school (as the above mentioned incident).

as mentioned by someone else, there are less distractions. you pay to have those distractions dealt with. you pay for a better learning environment. you pay for teachers to be really involved and motivated. you pay you pay you pay. and you get what you pay for.

you can pretty much be rest assured that all the parents of the other students are involved and care about their kids education as well. theyre paying a lot of $ for it as well. ive seen plenty of parents at public schools who could give a shit less about their kids education. they dont show up for parent conferences or disciplinary actions. they argue with the teachers/staff.

my mom is an administrator at a local high school. its not a ghetto high school by any means. out of 1000 seniors less than half actually graduated :nonono: my mom had a kid in her office with the school police. they searched the kid because they smelled pot on him. didnt find the weed. the mother shows up and asks to speak to the kid privately in the office. she walks out and he no longer smells like he has weed on him. they figured she took what he had so he wouldnt get in trouble for it. lots of other great stories of awesome parenting as well :nonono:

private school is expensive. not everyone can afford it. BUT, i sacrifice to make sure my daughter can attend. i dont buy new cars and new clothes etc... i put her education above just about everything else. a good educational foundation will lead to a very good future for her.

here's a tip. its not uncommon at all for a public high school in LA to have a full time probation officer/office on campus :read:
in addition to a few full time school police officers.

20 years from now they will have a public defenders office set up somewhere in the admin building lol

depends on location. CA public schools are becoming a joke throughout most of the state. A better area in the state may provide better teaching. Right now most schools are only focused on teaching geared toward the state tests in an attempt to make it appear that students are learning and raise CA's ranking.

maybe where you live :poke: where i live too lol.

but there are plenty of really good public schools in certain areas. the nicer the area, the better the schools. ask any real estate agent lol

Very true! Also teachers tend to care more in private schools!!!

U know what they say, u get what u pay for!

x10000 on the bold part!

on the first part, of course, they HAVE to! private schools dont (most of them) mess around with useless teachers. people are paying good money for their kids' education so they are on top of the teachers. (im sure some private schools suck as well).

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Public.

Private school kids usually are rich snobs because mommy and daddy could afford it. From what ive seen only few of them have amounted to anything.

IMO public schools still go more into teaching your kids about the real world, building character, how to interact with people and personalities that you will have to interact with for the rest of your life. Private schools not as much, as most are religious private schools to boot so they instill some retarded rules on the students (no holding hands, show of affection, etc).

Homeschool.......lol. Sure, if you want your child to grow up awkward and weird because theyve been coddled and had next to zero interaction with people in a group setting.

Ive gone farther in less time than most my classmates, both private and public schooled have done with only a HS Diploma versus them with college educations. Most these people are reasons ive come to realize College educations are just about passing tests and not really retaining much of what they were supposed to learn. Thats the problem with a system that is focused so much on testing.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I went to private Catholic schools most of my life until I moved in with my dad my senior year and I went to what was then a brand-spanking-new public school.

I got on the Honor Roll at the public school not because I was trying, but because I already knew most of what we covered. I actually had enough credits to graduate before my last semester, but I chose to screw my GPA all up by staying for the last semester mostly so I can hang out (aka skip out of school) with my buddies. I still ended up passing that last semester with a C.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
I attended both public and private and have worked (I.T Director) in public school systems.
In general, private schools will offer a better education. However, some of the best individual teachers I ever had were at public school. It comes down to how motivated the student is, and how well the teacher can engage the student and especially how invested the parents are in their child's education. It is almost impossible to educate a child without "buy in" from the parents. Which would seem to indicate that home-schooling should be an excellent education. But, while I know there are successful, well-educated and socially well-adjusted home-schooled people out there, I've never met one that I'm aware of. I'm sure that with the proper setting, home-schooling can out-perform both public and private education -- but most parents don't have the background, talent and depth of experience to be good teachers. Teaching is an art, not just something you can learn from a book. Plus, unless the parent-teachers make a concerted effort to integrate their kids socially, home schooled kids miss out on the widely varied social interactions that the rest of us had, and are ill-prepared for the real world of college and professional work life.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
A good kid will do well in either environment but I feel private college preps will provide the better education.

I went to both. My experience with public schools was horrid. I moved to IL in 7th grade and had a class where we practiced opening dictionaries. We literally sat in class for an entire week and the teacher said, "Open to the F section" and we estimated where it was and opened. I came home and told this to my parents and was enrolled in a private college prep school shortly thereafter.

My senior year we moved back to AZ where I attended the best public school in the state. It was a joke. I took 3 classes and was done by 11:45. One class had a project due at the end of the semester and the teacher told us to write a 10 page paper on whatever subject we wanted and left us to sit in class and work on it for the entire semester. I wrote my paper in two days (got an A in the class) and spent the rest of the semester sleeping for 40 minutes. The rest of the students talked, played games, etc. The girl next to me woke me up one day and said, "Nobody knows your name, they refer to you as the kid that sleeps every day", I told her my name, explained that I worked late at night, and went back to sleep. They offered classes such as the history of rock and roll, classes on the Beatles, cinema and movies, and other subjects that have no place in school. The two other advanced placement classes I took left me convinced that the teacher's manual was written in Crayon.

I've seen stats that as a percentage private schools offer a better chance of success but I'm sure enrollment screening has something to do with that.

coposrv

Established Member
I went to public schools. Most of my family went to private schools. I believe in the metro west area of Boston the level of public education is superior to many other areas of the country (please no one take it personally). That said. My friends and family who did attend a private school generally got into a better university compared to a similar student who attended a public school.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
My 16 year old daughter attends public school but is privately tutored several nights a week. This costs me $3,500.00 a year but it's less costly and more effective than private school tuition. One day my daughter will thank me for the tutoring lessons I provided for her, damn near $10,000.00 worth over 4 years!

Private school as a boy and 1st year of high school. Government school the last 3 years of high school. Private school curriculum was far more challenging and demanding that what I was exposed to as compared to the government school curriculum. But universally speaking, all government schools are quite different based on what region you are in and what the demographic make up is and whether you are in an urban or suburban area. So a lot of variables come into play.

Users who are viewing this thread