PT 88 work well for me? Long

ZACH'S97

Established Member
My set up is:
2003 cobra:
284ci> teksid block, .020 over, .004-.0041 ptw clearance, diamond 11.5cc pistons (9.1:1 compression), plasma moly rings gapped at 24 and 20, stock manley svt rods with arp2000 rod bolts, arp main and head studs, stock 03 heads with mild port work, comp springs, 5 angle valve job, 98 cobra cams degreed at 110/114, ported mach 1 intake (stock runner length), mmr intake spacer, stock tb, custom turbo kit with front mount intercooler, c5 auto with 9" continental converter (stalled to 3500 on the foot brake with the stock motor and a t70), car also has a good fuel system, full suspension, and a 31 spline 8.8. Transbrake will be going on before long as well. Car is 90% street 10% track. Goals are low tens on pump gas as it will be on pump gas most of the time. Probably going to have a low boost setting at 13psi or so and another at 16psi since I have a manual dual stage boost controller. Not sure if I'll hit these numbers or not, but I'd like to make 550+ on 13psi and 650+ on 16psi and I don't even have a race gas estimate yet...maybe 850 on low 20's (psi)???
Anyway, my thinking is (and yes I've searched and talked to some shops about this set up), but anyway, the t70 was way too small and even with the .96 exhaust had no lag at all on the stock motor. Hellions kits come standard with a 76 and everyone has that even on bone stock cars and my set up will spool a turbo much more efficiently. So, after talking to several shops (proline race engines and a local machine shop mainly) have me really wanting to try the pt88 t4 flanged turbo with a .96 exhaust. I've been told in the higher boost levels (such as my 16psi setting I intend to run) this turbo will outpower smaller ones and won't be too terribly laggy with the new motor and auto set up.
This motor should flow better than stock and the stall should creep a little higher. Also I'm going to run an open 4" down pipe instead of the previous 3" and may go to a 3.27 instead of a 3.55 (tires are 28") to help load the turbo. Also because of the port work and the cams swap I'll probably spin this to 7000 instead of 6600 like the old motor.

Anyway, sorry this is so long. What do you guys think about this turbo for this car? Also anyone know where I can find a compressor map for this turbo?

DeadM8

Turbo Terror
Established Member
Looking at your goals you could easily get away with a single 76mm. I have a stock longblock, and a modified Hellion 76mm single kit. It has a Precision 76mm gts turbo w/ a .81 a/r and currently I'm making 661 rwhp and 669 rwtq on 16 psi. Also thats plenty of power to run 10's in the 1/4 mile provided it's setup for the track.

Forgot to mention my numbers are on 93 octane

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread