Proud new handgun owner here!

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Holy crap!!! 5 months is just insane. That's half a year!! I'm very thankful I do not live in New Jersey (no offense).

Thanks for the congrats :beer:

Well at the time the State Police were on strike so my paperwork was held up. It normally takes 30-90 days.

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
The S&W M&P is Smith and Wesson's Glock-like clone, right?

Na. The SA-XD is more of a glock clone... Here are mine.

xds2001.gif

xds005.gif

XD003-1.gif

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

This is the M&P

209000_large.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=26807&isFirearm=Y

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Thanks for all the compliments fellas. I'm counting the minuntes until 12:00pm Saturday 09-Feb-2008. As of the time of this post, it's exactly 6 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes, 35 seconds.

I think I need to organize a MACA Range Day in the near future. I was thinking sometime in early/mid March. We'll make it at a place that can handle both handguns and rifles. Right off the top of my head, since I went there for some shooting recently, I know that Gilbert Indoor Range in Rockville, MD allows both handguns and rifles. I'm pretty sure they allow exotic stuff like .50 sniper rifles too. I can double check though. Regardless, this would be a place that all the MACA brothers-in-arms can go to shoot for a bit together.

Anyone game?? I'll start another thread, if so.

Last edited:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
So, I pick 'er up on Saturday. And I'll probably be getting to the range on Sunday.

Since this is my first handgun, is there anything I need to do before putting a few rounds down the barrel? Is there a break-in period? Do I need to do any extra-special pre-use cleaning or post-use cleaning?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated :beer:

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Only thing I can offer is, don't just run clip after clip through the gun in a very short period of time. I'm just old school. I don't like to have my barrel on fire from repeticious rounds. I know these newer guns can handle a lot and most likely won't hurt it, but it's a large investment that you want to protect. For example, I'm talking about 14 rounds in 3 seconds, eject mag, insert mag, close action in 2 seconds and discharge another 14 rounds in 3 seconds and repeating for 3 or 4 magazines. Definately clean it after each range visit. I'll run a swab through mine AT the range if I shoot 100 rounds, then continue. You'll notice your accuracy depletes with a dirty firearm.

Number 1 rule. Treat all firearms as if they are loaded !! Have a great time. This will be a nice hobby for yourself and Kelly..

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Only thing I can offer is, don't just run clip after clip through the gun in a very short period of time. I'm just old school. I don't like to have my barrel on fire from repeticious rounds.
Number 1 rule. Treat all firearms as if they are loaded !! Have a great time. This will be a nice hobby for yourself and Kelly..

+1

I run the bore snake through the barrel every 100 rounds or so and before i leave the range. Sometimes i clean it a few days to a week after i visit the range. Cleaning the barrel is very important so you dont get the gun powder build up. I also wipe the guns down with a silicone wipe.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
UPDATE:

Just wanted to update this thread.

Purchased my .45ACP H&K USP Compact Tactical on 02/01/2008; picked it up 02/09/2008. Shot it for the first time today. Absolutely love the gun. Very accurate, feels perfect in my hand and everything on the gun is easy to manipulate. I'm a very satisfied H&K owner here.

Cost: $1099.00 (Dealer: 'The Armory' in Annapolis, MD; I highly recommend them for local residents)

Here's the pics of what I got for that (NOTE: I edited the pics to black out the serial number; figured that's a good idea since I'm posting these on the internet?):

usp_ct_2.JPG

usp_ct_1.JPG

usp_ct_4.JPG

usp_ct_3.JPG

Oh, and did I mention I've picked out my next weapon? Probably going to be a Mossberg 500 Tactical or a semi-auto Colt M4.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Looks great. Best of luck. I'd be down for a range day sometime this spring/summer.

Users who are viewing this thread