prothane trans mount =s vibration

cheaneyt

Established Member
I installed a new trans mount, now getting vibration, motor mounts are new oem quality. old mount for trans was soft like a titty . install went well . vibrations are bugging me . will they go away?
7b25e39a5769c8553094471700b6206d.jpg
23e3fd88c3f830e5810faa49208989a1.jpg
1d84b6d06964fec4b7795d11622f4d87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Is pro thane a polyurethane Mount? If so, and stock mount is rubber, the answer is yes. If somehow the mount is crooked or over-compressed, that could cause more vibration too.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I've been monkeying with muscle cars for many decades and in my experience, any time you swap OEM bushings to poly bushings you have a very good chance for increased NVH (noise, vibration & harshness).

However, it is also worth double checking to make sure the tranny (or any part of it, or anything attached to it) is not actually contacting the floorpan. This would also cause a vibration.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
In my experience the Prothane (black) bushings are stiffer than the Energy (red) brand. The oem mounts will absord or insulate most of the vibration into the rubber until they wear out. The Prothane will absord it back into the car frame. They are not much softer than a solid mount. You gonna have a more solid feel but the trade off is you feel everything. Lol. I'm running the red Energy mounts and I'm happy. But I have motor and tranny mounts.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Another thing to consider is: super-strong tranny mounts are only needed for extreme power levels. At least, that's what I have read numerous times. Maybe just revert back to stock-type mount.

cheaneyt

Established Member
Another thing to consider is: super-strong tranny mounts are only needed for extreme power levels. At least, that's what I have read numerous times. Maybe just revert back to stock-type mount.
thinking thats what ima do

Helomech74

Established Member
Did you measure the distance of the trans tail shaft output to the floor pan of the car before and after the install of the mount? You might have altered the driveline angle by raising or lowering the rear the transmission, this will induce plenty of vibration. I've never noticed much difference in vibration going to a poly mount. I personally run solid engine mounts and a poly trans mount and I don't notice much more vibration at all.

cheaneyt

Established Member
Did you measure the distance of the trans tail shaft output to the floor pan of the car before and after the install of the mount? You might have altered the driveline angle by raising or lowering the rear the transmission, this will induce plenty of vibration. I've never noticed much difference in vibration going to a poly mount. I personally run solid engine mounts and a poly trans mount and I don't notice much more vibration at all.
the old mount was damaged pretty good,so I'd imagine it was sagging a bit. all i did was swap one for the other. is there a way to tell if its not right? and how would I straighten it up if so?

cheaneyt

Established Member
so took er to a shop , trans mount is good to go. my install was on point. however the rear control arm bushings are out. mine are sve tubular look like the ones in first pic. replacement bushings on way asap.
20057fdfa8450c5101160a7ab63c6d61.jpg
89b520bf288d67abbde19c94492cf119.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread