Pro's/Con's - Coupe/Convertible

Secesh

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone wants to share the reasons for their choice. My first Cobra was a '99 Coupe & I loved it, especially the way it handled. My last one was an '03 Convertible. It's nice on warm sunny days but up here in NE I didn't seem to have the top down much, and then only on back roads. I could also tell the difference in handling. I was planning on getting another convertible but am having second thoughts.

Anyone regret switching from one to the other?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Cobra convertibles are some of the greatest to ever come out of Detroit IMO. Just awesome looking cars with the tops down and good lines even with them up. And there's tons of folks that are running some great times with verts, so the performance factor just doesn't take that big of a hit.

We had 26 MACA Cobras at the Ocean City Cruisers Weekend last May and I bet 10 of them were verts.........Just ain't nothing like cruisin down Coastal Blvd in an 11 second vert and we had a bunch of em!!

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Ditto what Dwight said.

Coupe..pros...tighter...less cost...less weight
Vert...pros...with the top down...you got the ladies looking at ya! Ain't no substitue for that...

Coupe...cons..it ain't a vert...
Vert......cons..it ain't tight..it's heavy..and shimmies a bit

Go Vert!!!!

PS: On a side note...ain't no feeling like doing 120 with the top down...and the air blowing over top of ya...now that is a RUSH!

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Cobra330 said:
Ditto what Dwight said.

Vert...pros...with the top down...you got the ladies looking at ya! Ain't no substitue for that...

Go Vert!!!!

PS: On a side note...ain't no feeling like doing 120 with the top down...and the air blowing over top of ya...now that is a RUSH!

Try 155! It's better. :thumbsup:

+1 though. Coupe is way tighter, and better for racing. You also have stricter limitations at the track if it's your thing. I was upset to hear you cannot compete if you are running under 12.5's in a vert without a cage.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
This is my first Vert and i love it!! I havent driven an 03/04 Cobra Coupe yet so really cant compare the stiffness but with subframe connects on my vert it feels real solid. The only down side is that if you want to do any kind of racing (drag racing/road racing) you need a cage or at least a roll bar, neither of which i really want to get. I dont think i will be going back to a coupe for a while.

-Mike

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
I love my vert, but if I were to do it again i would get a coupe, i ahve subframes ready to go on and will do some other things to tighten it up.

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
N2DAMYSTIC said:
Try 155! It's better. :thumbsup:

+1 though. Coupe is way tighter, and better for racing. You also have stricter limitations at the track if it's your thing. I was upset to hear you cannot compete if you are running under 12.5's in a vert without a cage.

?Try 155! It's better.

?? That's all you got :p ??? :poke:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I also love my vert, but I like racing more.....so I want to sell it and get a hardtop so i can go to the track without getting kicked off. And I definatly do NOT want to put a cage in the car.

SteveChris

Established Member
if you dont plan on going to the track id go with a vert.
having the top down in the spring/summer is the greatest, and you really get to hear the exhaust. during the winter i get no looks..with the top down you always get a thumbs up.
and seeing how i look like the bastard child of Micheal Rapaport and Ryan Stiles..a nice vert couldn't hurt

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
i used to have a 99 cobra vert...wish my 03 was a vert. I wish i could go back to the day when i was at the dealership trying to decide if i wanted a vert or not :(

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
IMO I had a 94 GT Vert and now that I've got a coupe I really don't miss it that much. My opinion is COUPE

undrpresr

Established Member
pros of coupe - stiffer feeling, great for racing, little lighter, feels better on the road

cons of coupe - not a vert!!!

cons of vert - tops can be a pain (water leaks, wind noise), heavier, when stock chassis is not stiff as coupe

pros of vert - where does the list begin?????? u get tons of attention, the body lines on a vert with the top down is just great, adding a light bar = even more attention, top down cruising cant get any better, you can get a tan without getting out of your car! this is my first vert and i will never buy a coupe mustang again! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

SpectorV

Established Member
I wanted a fun car, I dont plan to go to the track... I have always wanted a vert and I am the type of person that will use it ALL THE TIME so it was for me. I have had hardtop mustangs as well.

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
Cobra330 said:
Ditto what Dwight said.

Go Vert!!!!

+1,000

Love the vert the price for the noise and rattle has an easy fix

PUT THE TOP DOWN, RAISE THE VOLUME ON THE TUNES, AND STOMP THE HELL OF IT

VERT ALL THE WAY

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
^ what he said...drop the top, crank it up (tunes and pipes) and blow the hell outta the old ladies at the stop light!

Hahahahahahahaheeheeheehee!!!!!!!!!!!!

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
Get the windscreen, My dad has the 04 Vert and with the windscreen. It makes a ton of difference. On a 45 degree day with the windscreen and windows up, It feels like a big sunroof is open. No wind at all, Just a gentle breeze wispering in your ears.... aaaaahhhhhhhh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ewItemQQcategoryZ42611QQitemZ4609281836QQrdZ1

I miss my Vert, I had 73 Mustang In H.S. Man that car was sweet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread