Pros and Cons

EATONURLS1

Established Member
Hey Guys, Looking to get a 1994 or 1998 SVT Cobra, just wanna know what the differences you guys have seen between the 2. I wanna get the best one and just wanna see what you guys think. Thanks

Quin

Established Member
That's a really vague question, and there isn't really a "best" SN95 Cobra. 94-95s need a little help in the HP department compared to the 96-98s but it's normal 302 stuff. Super cheap aftermarket, easier and cheaper to maintain, etc. 96-98s are faster stock and I believe they have better suspension as well. The interior is identical, ride quality is about the same, braking is about the same... It's more a matter of opinion than anything else.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The 94-95 Cobra's are a very different car really. They have the same chasis but thats about it. The 94-95 Cobra uses the old pushrod motor, almoust identical to the ones used in the fox body's. The 96-98 Cobra's have a DOHC engine with the earlier B heads and intake. They make 305 hp stock. The 96 had some cooling issues which were resolved by the time the 97 came out. The 98 has a slightly different fuel system than the 96-97 Cobra.

I used to own a 94 Cobra so I have experience with both the pushrod and DOHC. For parts the pushrod motors are cheaper, but the slight differences between the fox body 5.0 and that in the 94-95 Cobra make the Cobra a bit of a bastard child. The DOHC is faster out of the box and is faster with the same basic bolt ons. If I had to do it all over again I would still go with a DOHC Cobra.

John4cam

Established Member
the 94-95 cobra's are a very different car really. They have the same chasis but thats about it. The 94-95 cobra uses the old pushrod motor, almoust identical to the ones used in the fox body's. The 96-98 cobra's have a dohc engine with the earlier b heads and intake. They make 305 hp stock. The 96 had some cooling issues which were resolved by the time the 97 came out. The 98 has a slightly different fuel system than the 96-97 cobra.

I used to own a 94 cobra so i have experience with both the pushrod and dohc. For parts the pushrod motors are cheaper, but the slight differences between the fox body 5.0 and that in the 94-95 cobra make the cobra a bit of a bastard child. The dohc is faster out of the box and is faster with the same basic bolt ons. If i had to do it all over again i would still go with a dohc cobra.

+1

EATONURLS1

Established Member
Its just hard to make a choice, cause Ive only owned Lightnings(4 to be exact) and 00 GT a GTO and a TBSS now, my wife is gonna take the TBSS cause its safer so she said i should get a toy for myself, I test drove a 1998 and It was awesome, I have Driven a few 1994's I like the exhaust tone alot more on it(Could be just the system used). What do you guys think a reasonable price range for a 1998 would be right now? A dealership is selling one with 65k on the clock for almost 10gs, that seems to be a bit too much in my opinion. Need to see what ballpark figure i should be lookin in. I would love to get an 04 but some places around here are charging way too much, and the 1998's are when i first really started to love the cobras. thanks guys

LDC2335

Established Member
Its just hard to make a choice, cause Ive only owned Lightnings(4 to be exact) and 00 GT a GTO and a TBSS now, my wife is gonna take the TBSS cause its safer so she said i should get a toy for myself, I test drove a 1998 and It was awesome, I have Driven a few 1994's I like the exhaust tone alot more on it(Could be just the system used). What do you guys think a reasonable price range for a 1998 would be right now? A dealership is selling one with 65k on the clock for almost 10gs, that seems to be a bit too much in my opinion. Need to see what ballpark figure i should be lookin in. I would love to get an 04 but some places around here are charging way too much, and the 1998's are when i first really started to love the cobras. thanks guys

i bought a 96 with 42,000 miles for $11,300, talked em down from $13,900.
Sure its kinda high, but i wanted the car. If you find one you like go for it.

i would love to have a built 95 with low miles, a h/c/i package and a decent blower on it. there's nothing like the sound of a good cam.

All that on a 98 would cost a fortune.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

10K is a bit high. in 2007 I bought my 97 with 80k miles for 8k. If the car is clean then negotiate the price. As for the exhaust, you just need to uncork the restrictive factory exhaust. A good midpipe will help alot as well as a decent catback.

Users who are viewing this thread