pros and cons of your local lube shop

outlaw07

Established Member
So I'm pretty new to this forum. I've spent many years in the fox body realm and have had the same 79 cobra for 11 years which i built from a bare chassis. I am a diesel mechanic by heart but recently fell into the position of running a lube and repair shop that works on cars, pickups, RVs and semis. We have a nice clean building with two full pits and two full repair stalls large enough for semis, a car lift and fabrication equipment. I was planning on buying a terminator for several years but ended up with a 2010 GT500 and I love it.
So I was thinking about maybe offering some sort of special for specialty vehicles. I know a lot of people in my area own cars that aren't your typical daily drivers. I was just curious if anyone here (assuming you had a place like this in your area) had any ideas that would make you want to do business there. What are some things that might attract you to it? I know most people prefer to maintain their own cars, but I'm sure there are some people that wouldn't mind going to a shop if they can trust them. I hear a lot of horror stories about shops and I do everything in my power to keep us off that list. So I'm just curious if anyone has some pros and cons about their favorite or worst shops to get an idea of what I can do to direct our business that way.
thanks!
Jeff

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Thanks for asking and offering!

I think you'll see much fewer of these cars for service if only because we don't drive them much.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
First and most importantly, making sure the staff you hire are not only at LEAST ASE A1 certified, but that they have pride in the work that they do. The biggest issue I see as a Lexus dealer tech from lube shops and independents is sloppy work, poor cleaning of the engine/trans/diffs etc. Overtorqued or loose drain plugs and oil filters/housings, lug nuts etc. Basically, it looks like a monkey with a volume quota worked on the car. If you can find staff that at least give a shit about the work they do as a reflection of themselves, their skill, and your shop thats a step in the right direction.

Second, offer high quality lubricants, filters and other parts. No one with a GT500, Hellcat, ZL1, Z06 etc will want a Proguard filter and 7+ quarts of Pennzoils worst... Becoming a distributor for Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1 will go a long way to showing youre serious about your customers needs. Factory filters, both regular maintenance and race variants that Ford Racing, GM Perf Parts and Mopar may offer should be standard inventory. The people who are serious about maintaining their cars at a high level will pay a reasonable amount for the Best.

Lastly, you MUST have a proactive quality control program on your work. Good experiences are expected, bad experiences will travel like wildfire! Any monkey can drop a filter and oil. A technician who makes sure that the filter is on correctly, the drain plug is TORQUED and the worked area is CLEAN makes a difference.

Quality over volume and you will have a great business. Get your car wrapped with your business name and logo and take it racing at the strip, hand out business cards and engaged your potential customers. Lots of guys love wrenching on their cars. Many times, even being a technician myself, Id love to just take it somewhere and have it done. If you can make that place a reality, youll do great.

Last edited:

outlaw07

Established Member
Awesome! Thanks for the reply! We have been running for a few months now and I take pride in doing it correctly. I agree 100% with what you said. I only have one other guy and he is my lube tech. I do the repairs and help him and he helps me when I need it. He's perfectly capable of smaller repairs, but he is a little slow at it because he's very cautious. I've taught him that cleanliness is very important. Everything we touch gets wiped clean. I made it very clear to use rubber gloves during an oil change and to take them off anytime you touch anything that's not under the hood or underneath the car. I never thought of advertising on my own car. I might have to make a small sticker for the rear window or something. As far as inventory, I carry a lot of specialty items for 6.0 and 6.4 powerstrokes. I carry motorcraft filters and caps and really try to urge people to stay away from aftermarket oil filters on them. I also carry aftermarket fuel pump plugs (common issue). I carry T6 and T5 oil. I'd like to carry some specialty oils and filters and offer some sort of deal on specialty cars. There's probably not a huge profitable market in my area, but I'd like to do it mainly because I enjoy it. I thought about hosting a car show next summer too to help bring in some people.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
First and most importantly, making sure the staff you hire are not only at LEAST ASE A1 certified, but that they have pride in the work that they do.
I recently worked at one that did tires and alignments as well for about 18 months thanks to the slowing in the oil field. Good luck being able to afford someone who is qualified and gives a damn that is willing to stay.

CV355

_
Established Member

+65000

Local lube garage here in G-ville decided that it would be easier to just flex the inlet piping on my Volvo rather than remove it to get to the oil filter cartridge. They cracked the inlet pipe, which whistled and hissed as it let any hopes of boost fly out.

As for OP's question... This might sound stupid, but I really, really like floor protectors or seeing employees wear booties/gloves when getting in/out of the car (white glove service). Nothing worse than sitting down, smelling oily swamp-ass, and seeing huge hand/foot smudges all over the interior of your car.

Never_Enough

Established Member
+65000

Local lube garage here in G-ville decided that it would be easier to just flex the inlet piping on my Volvo rather than remove it to get to the oil filter cartridge. They cracked the inlet pipe, which whistled and hissed as it let any hopes of boost fly out.

As for OP's question... This might sound stupid, but I really, really like floor protectors or seeing employees wear booties/gloves when getting in/out of the car (white glove service). Nothing worse than sitting down, smelling oily swamp-ass, and seeing huge hand/foot smudges all over the interior of your car.
Don't forget the smudges on the paint or glass.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
I would think employees trained at high end tire mounting and balancing along with the ability to dial in custom suspension geometry.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I would think employees trained at high end tire mounting and balancing along with the ability to dial in custom suspension geometry.
As in dial in the camber/caster/toe in a customer wants? I was able to do that but i didnt. Liability issue. On newer cars, vehicle data can be looked at and if the person wrecks, it can come back on the shop.

CV355

_
Established Member
Don't forget the smudges on the paint or glass.

giphy.gif

mcaligiuri

Established Member
my neighbor took his subaru to avis quick lube and they said they changed the oil. The check engine light comes on during his way home and its shifting weird. He knows im a mechanic so he asks me to take a look. Has a code for 3rd gear incorrect ratio. Check trans fluid bone dry, oil however is wayyy over filled. They drained the tranny and overfilled the oil. This could of been avoided by a competent mechanic checking the oil after they filled it. They would of saw it was over filled and realized something was wrong. However when you pay them minimum wage you get this kinda of work. Appreciate your employees when they care about their work and your business will prosper.

outlaw07

Established Member
Fingerprints and smudges drive me crazy on my own vehicles, so I am extremely careful, which is why me and my employee wear gloves anytime we touch anything remotely dirty. (I put them on to open the shop doors even) that way when it comes time to move a customer vehicle or reset the oil life etc. my hands will be clean. Insurance allows the customer to drive the vehicle in, but not out, so when it comes time to move them out, I remove my coveralls, lay down a paper floor mat and if we feel like we're dirty we will have our receptionist move them. So I agree 100% with cleanliness. I pay my employee pretty well and he has full benefits, because I understand good employees are worth their weight in gold. Our shop is directed towards class A trucks, but I'd really like to advertise specialty vehicles in the summer time. I'm just not quite sure how to do it, other than offer our lot for someone to host a car show or some sort of charity.
As far as alignments go, I just can't do that yet. It's really hard to justify the initial cost of alignment equipment. I totally understand bringing in your own specs though. I have MM suspension on my fox and had to do the same thing. Fortunately the guys at Schwabs know me pretty well and let me in there while they're aligning it or testing wheel fitment because nothing is stock.

Users who are viewing this thread