Pros and cons of the convertible?

redsap05

Established Member
Just as the title states, what are the pros and cons of getting the shelby convertible? One of my main quesitons is, how much does it hinder performance, not just in terms of weight but can you still do a kb and whipple and not have the boddy twist? I know there are serveral here with convertibles so please chime in with your experiences. Thanks.

que4dog

Established Member
I found ZERO problems with a convertible. I had convertible terminator that was a Bat out of hell. I never ran across a hardtop that beat me (not saying they were not any). I purchased another 08 convertible and love it also. Zero body twist or other issues. But if you are building a solid track car, the hardtop is the way to go. The ladies just love the drop top. Hope the wife doesn't read this. lol

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i found zero problems with a convertible. I had convertible terminator that was a bat out of hell. I never ran across a hardtop that beat me (not saying they were not any). I purchased another 08 convertible and love it also. Zero body twist or other issues. But if you are building a solid track car, the hardtop is the way to go. The ladies just love the drop top. Hope the wife doesn't read this. Lol

+1

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Heavier and not as rigid. That's the bad news.

The good news is the S-197 is 100 times more rigid than the SN-95 chassis.

Ok, maybe 100 times is an exaggeration! ;-):poke::p

BADSEED

Established Member
i had a 99 GT vert and i loved it and spring time coming most likely should have a gt500 and that to will be a vert to...as for body flexing i never once ever felt it twist what so ever because they come from the factor with alot of extra bracing...vert is the only way to go at least thats what i think and alot my friends and even my brother have said there next car will be a vert

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Heavier and not as rigid. That's the bad news.

The good news is the S-197 is 100 times more rigid than the SN-95 chassis.

Ok, maybe 100 times is an exaggeration! ;-):poke::p

That is a fact. When I put the Terminator convertible on the lift you can see the door margins widening as the car went up in the air.
Whe I put the 06 GT convertible on the lift, there was zero widening of the door margins. You could actually open and close the doors and they wouldn't hang up on the striker.

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
That's just normal wear that would happen with any vert. Some people think there should be no wear at all on these cars.

Hardly normal wear, it has been a documented issue with this specific top setup on our cars...there is some expectation that Ford will fix this in the near future. I've had half a dozen convertibles with no wear like this...people are having holes in their tops at 7,000 miles :bash:

As for pros/cons...

Pros
- Obvious "top down" enjoyment.
- And as others have stated, the ladies seem to like rag tops better :beer:

Cons
- Additional road noise
- Slightly heavier
- Can't get a 700+hp Super Snake
- Can't get a KR
- Full roll cage looks a little goofy with the top down
- Sunburn, cost of sunblock

It all boils down to what you want it for...pure drag racer, road racing, street racing...hard top. Just pure fun/enjoyment of having a 500+hp car, then I went with the drop top...and would do it again in a heartbeat.

YMMV.

Ash1977

Established Member
I had a 2000 convertible. It was great except for wind noise. I also felt that I did not use it enough because of the Texas heat and the wife hating the top down.

Seahorse

Established Member
You just can't beat top down cruising on a beautiful sunny day, or a warm starry night. Top up the car is nice and tight, no leaks and with it's insulated top very little extra road noise. Yes, it does weigh a bit more, but again unless you're a track junky, you'll never notice the difference. The 'vert is simply the best all-round Shelby IMO. If your priority is the track, of whatever type, then the coupe is the way to go...otherwise get the 'vert and enjoy!

P.S. oh yea, one other advantage of the droptop - no blind spots...with the top down anyway LOL!

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
You just can't beat top down cruising on a beautiful sunny day, or a warm starry night. Top up the car is nice and tight, no leaks and with it's insulated top very little extra road noise. Yes, it does weigh a bit more, but again unless you're a track junky, you'll never notice the difference. The 'vert is simply the best all-round Shelby IMO. If your priority is the track, of whatever type, then the coupe is the way to go...otherwise get the 'vert and enjoy!

P.S. oh yea, one other advantage of the droptop - no blind spots...with the top down anyway LOL!

+1 :rockon:

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
I never had a Shelby GT500 drop top but I plan on getting a 2007 next spring. I had a 2002 Camaro SS 35th anniversary 6-speed manual Vert though. I loved it but the top leaked every now and then at the car wash but u will have that.

Pro's - Girls love drops, breeze while driving, u can really hear the whine of the s/c
Con's - The added cost, no KR or Super Snake, dangerous if u flip over !!!

Last edited:

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
I never had a Shelby GT500 drop top but I plan on getting a 2007 next spring. I had a 2002 Camaro SS 35th anniversary 6-speed manual Vert though. I loved it but the top leaked every now and then at the car wash but u will have that.

Pro's - Girls love drops, breeze while driving, u can really hear the whine of the s/c
Con's - The added cost, no KR or Super Snake, dangerous if u flip over !!!

just two comments to add...I never take a car like this to a car wash and you can get the 605 Super Snake, just not the 725 (unless you add the hp yourself).

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
just two comments to add...I never take a car like this to a car wash and you can get the 605 Super Snake, just not the 725 (unless you add the hp yourself).

true but if it's not that dirty & im feeling lazy I spray it off and use a water blade or absorber, not a drive threw car wash. I know what ur sayin

TexasShelby

Established Member
I had a 88' McLaren Mustang vert until last year....it was terrible, hot in the summer, freezing in the winter and you better have a towel or two in the car if it rained.

My early 07 GT500 vert is so far past that it's not even funny. I do have a small amount of wind noise, but it's water tight, quiet (that is I can't hear anything above my stereo) and it's easy to keep and clean. Just keep your locks lubed.

There are a few TSBs out there for you vert owners. Get your service department to look them up for you. Or PM me and I'll email you the papers. It seems you cant attach a file, which is just plain stupid.

08-17-3 09/01/2008 Body - Convertible Top Quarter Glass Separation

07-20-3 10/15/2007 Convertible Top - Tension Cable Tick/Pop/Rattle

07-19-1 10/01/2007 Body - Premature Convertible Top Wear* This is one to look at closely.

07-17-8 09/03/2007 Body - Various Convertible Top Concerns

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread