Pros and Cons of Hand-held tuner vs. Custom Tune Chip

nivek

Banned
I am trying to decided between a custom tuned chip or a tune to the hand held. Beside the obvious of getting to the chip what else would I want one over the other?

optx002

Established Member
what is the obvious reason for getting the chip?

Only difference i can see is the chip is good for a nitrous setup, so you can just flip the setting to go from normal no nitrous mode to a nitrous mode without shutting off the engine. The handheld tuner is good if you want to datalog.

nivek

Banned
The obvious was getting to the chip, meaning that's why I wouldn't want the chip vs the handheld. Does datalogging really have it's benefits?

optx002

Established Member
well you can always datalog, and send to a tuner via email and update your tune. with a chip you have to go to the tuner and get it re-burned.

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
Chip would just be of more inconvenience. Like said you would have to send the chip out and wait for it to return for a retune. Handheld also allows datalogging. Chips can hold more than one tune which is good, but also with a handheld you can change a tune just hooking it up to your computer upload tune, reload it in the car and go. Just seems like more benefits come from handheld tuners than chips.

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
What part of Dallas, check out the local boards i might be heading up to HPP this weekend to get my baseline dyno.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
The only reason I would recommend a chip, is if you were going to run N20 or required a second, switch on the fly tune for some reason. Other than that, a handheld is the way to go....

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
If having your car dyno tuned is an option for you then using a chip for 2 different programs will work fine for you. You will be close enough to have the tuner do any datalogging and reburning...if it is not an option for you and you have to use mail order tuning...the flasher is going to be a better choice for you because it has datalogging and tweaking capabilites... you will be able to provide your tuner with data to consult if your program needs revised past the tweaking capabilities of the flasher...either the Preditor or SCT XCAL2 are good choices and have similar capabilites..the difference is that the XCAL2 will hold 3 custom programs and your stock program where the Preditor only holds 1 custom program at a time

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
I would highly recommend the hand held tuner for many reasons! The best reason is that ALL adjustments can be made through a tuner. If you add a port, lower, or anything else, you're tuner can just adjust the parameters to the required specs!

Users who are viewing this thread