Pros and Cons of cutting stock springs.

bzubke1

Established Member
I'm just wondering what the pros and cons to cutting the stock springs would be?

Dekorum

Established Member
Don't heat it up when you cut it.
I don't think theres many things that cutting a coil can do to a spring.
A pro is your car won't look like a 4x4 anymore.

Dekorum

Established Member
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think cutting a spring makes the spring ride any different. I have only cut my Ford B spring in the rear and they seem fine, but then again I have nothing to compare them to.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Cutting a progressive rate spring isn't a good idea.
Cutting a linear rate spring isn't quite as bad.

It does affect spring rates but some don't notice much difference.
And road course guys will tell you not to.

Personally I will not cut springs but that is just me.

My94GT

Established Member
id personally not cut a spring, you want to go low spend the money and get coilovers, or just get some nice drop springs and take out your isos if you must.

96 chris

Established Member
^yeah thats probably what I will do, I think I can afford a couple hundred bucks to do it properly.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Springs are made to use their entire compression range when sucking up bumps and dealing with cornering forces, when you cut a spring you lose a decent amount of that range of compression which will have your car slamming into the bump stops and rattling your teeth out.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Springs are made to use their entire compression range when sucking up bumps and dealing with cornering forces, when you cut a spring you lose a decent amount of that range of compression which will have your car slamming into the bump stops and rattling your teeth out.

+1. In short, you increase your spring rate and hop like a low rider truck. Buy lowering springs. Don't half ass it. -Mark

bzubke1

Established Member
I wasn't strongly considering cutting stock springs just wanted a little info on it. I will most likely get frbb b springs. Thanks for all the info guys

NXCaaabra

wobblehead
Established Member
i cut mine, thinking it was gonna be temporary,but ..i havent been dissapointed yet with them cut and its been over a year... im happy, it rides ok for me, but i also didnt cut it to where the car is on the ground..... but by time you spend the time removing and installing , i would prolly just put new ones in since, you may not like how it rides with them cut..

Users who are viewing this thread