Pros and cons going afkt K member

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Thinking of completing my weight loss project on the Shelby with an afkt K member, most likely doing a BMR one.

+'s n -'s of doing such a swap...................input please.

Tony

Fast Ford

Established Member
Don't really have any con's, it's all good. I have an 07 and I installed the lower tie bar, support brace to the K-member, K-member, lower control arms and the rear brace. BMR's parts are well made and fit like a glove, the car feels more ridged and connected. Also I would recommend going with the solid motor mounts over the poly.

03kbredfire

Established Member
Thinking of completing my weight loss project on the Shelby with an afkt K member, most likely doing a BMR one.

+'s n -'s of doing such a swap...................input please.

Tony

I have been wondering this myself. I cannot get myself to do this mod as I am too concerned of the negative impacts to vehicle. My want to perform this is mainly weight loss. After installing my headers, I noticed that the largest share of weight loss (8 lbs.) would be from swapping to lighter motor mounts. As K members would include this as part of their weight loss, I wonder if simply swapping these would be a much cheaper and les impactful change.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
NVH is what i have heard as well. Not speaking from personal experience but from what others have said.

BMR Tech 2

You'll get some slight NVH depending on the Motor Mounts you use ETC while swapping, but speaking from personal experience on my 2013 GT, there are no other negatives.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
NVH. Heard of someone going back to stock due to it.

RBB

Established Member
If you've already upgraded the rest of your suspension, you're not even going to notice it. Everything I've got back there has a heim joint or spherical bearing, and my diff is always whining anyways....a little bit of extra noise from the K member is negligible.

802gt500

Established Member
Love mine bmr, looks the part when on the lift with lts. I used poly motor mounts and when its cold there is a slight engine vibration through the chassis. When its warmed up it is exactly like stock imo. No NVH noticed.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't really have any con's, it's all good. I have an 07 and I installed the lower tie bar, support brace to the K-member, K-member, lower control arms and the rear brace. BMR's parts are well made and fit like a glove, the car feels more ridged and connected. Also I would recommend going with the solid motor mounts over the poly.
My complaint is the NVH even with poly. The BMR mounts are so much smaller than stock, I think they could actually design a bigger poly mount to have a better NVH balance. My rear heim joint BMR suspension seemed less NVH than the k-member.
Again, quality parts and happy with all my BMR parts, but def more NVH.
It's not where I'd swap it out, but I may work on adapting different mounts.
I also have cams, that may contribute.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread