"Proper" name for our cars?

nhs156

Established Member
Ford calls it the "Shelby GT500" but lists it under the "Mustang" model on their website. So is it technically the "Ford Mustang Shelby GT500"?

This forums lists it as "SVT Shelby GT500".

My local dealer referred to the car as the "Cobra".

I suppose I could call it the "Ford Mustang SVT Shelby GT500 Cobra", but that's a mouthful. So what's this car referred to in enthusiast circles?

Is it simply "Shelby GT500" with no mention made of Ford or Mustang? What do you call it in speaking to a non-GT500 enthusiast?

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
Whatever comes out of my mouth, I usually just say Shelby but often times I find myself calling it a Cobra. I think people get tied up with it being a "Shelby GT500" but it really is just the top tier Mustang.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Ford calls it the "Shelby GT500" but lists it under the "Mustang" model on their website. So is it technically the "Ford Mustang Shelby GT500"?

I suppose I could call it the "Ford Mustang SVT Shelby GT500 Cobra", but that's a mouthful. So what's this car referred to in enthusiast circles?

Is it simply "Shelby GT500" with no mention made of Ford or Mustang? What do you call it in speaking to a non-GT500 enthusiast?

When the 1993-2004 SVT Cobra's were built, they said "COBRA" on them somewhere, at least in one place. My 2008 SVT Mustang does not say "COBRA" anywhere, it says "SHELBY" and it says "GT500", so I call it a Shelby or a GT500 or a combination Shelby GT500. I'm not going to call it a Cobra, if Ford (the people who built the car) have not labeled it as a Cobra.

R

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
When the 1993-2004 SVT Cobra's were built, they said "COBRA" on them somewhere, at least in one place. My 2008 SVT Mustang does not say "COBRA" anywhere, it says "SHELBY" and it says "GT500", so I call it a Shelby or a GT500 or a combination Shelby GT500. I'm not going to call it a Cobra, if Ford (the people who built the car) have not labeled it as a Cobra.

R

There are Cobra emblems in 3 locations on the car. Each front fender and the rear faux fuel door. Do you just call those "generic snakes"? lol :beer:

You can call your car whatever you want. It is a Ford, it is a Mustang, It is a SVT, it is a Shelby, it is a GT500... With 3 snake emblems ;-)

I call them a Mustang.

fullboogie

Established Member
There are Cobra emblems in 3 locations on the car. Each front fender and the rear faux fuel door. Do you just call those "generic snakes"? lol :beer:

You can call your car whatever you want. It is a Ford, it is a Mustang, It is a SVT, it is a Shelby, it is a GT500... With 3 snake emblems ;-)

I call them a Mustang.

Sewn into the seat and on the steering wheel as well. However, I don't say "cobra" either.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

I call them a Mustang.

I would guess that they are pulled from what they represented when the original Shelby Mustangs were produced. The coiled cobra's on the front fenders and other places on the original cars indicated that they had a "cobra" engine, they were "cobra powered", from the world class cobra roadsters. Later the fender snakes got "Cobra Jet" added to the snakes, again, the engine under the hood...................

The coiled snakes on these newer GT500's came along with the retro theme from what they were in the 1960's........but did not "also" get the "COBRA" identifiers of the 1993-2004 SVT Mustangs.

^^^Just a guess from what I know about the original Shelby Mustangs? All indicators were for what was under the hood. "You have a Cobra engine under the hood............WOW!!" and the engine boasted this on the valve covers, intake and oil pan. It was a big deal to have a Shelby Mustang with the Cobra engine.............but the roadster was the "Cobra", and the Mustang was a GT350 or GT500 model.

and then later in the 1960's, mid-1970's the Torino had a Cobra model, the Cobra Torino, the Mustang II/Cobra II, etc.

R

Last edited:

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
For me it depends on who I'm taking to and their level of "car knowledge" is. Usually Shelby GT500 is what I call it most commonly or sometime just Shelby or just GT500. I don't through the "mustang" in there unless I'm talking to some one who is clueless

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I just call it a Mustang. I refuse to call it a "Shelby."

einehund

Established Member
My window sticker says shelby so that's what I call it unless I'm getting tags at the DMV or dealing with insurance, cause then it's a mustang.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The car is more SVT than Shelby, IMO. The original Shelby GT500's were assembled @ Shelby Auto. The current car's final assembly is Flat Rock, MI.

In the end, it doesn't matter. It's a super version of the Mustang, no matter the name.

Last edited:

shelby2

Established Member
I call mine Gambit, after my wife's first race horse (which was the same color as my car)when she was a teenager.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

It's a Shelby, or a GT500. Take your pick. Both of which are based off of the Mustang.

The last official Mustang "Cobra" model was built in 2004. :read:

The Shelby will be done after the 2014 model year and the Cobra 'should' return. Stay tuned.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Stri8ed

Killer
Established Member
07+ Shelbys are "Ford Shelby GT500".

Why do some call it a SVT GT500? Because it was a collaboration between SVT and Caroll Shelby. But SVT is a division of Ford with Ford being the maker of the car.

--Ford is calling the car a unique collaboration between the legend Carroll Shelby and the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT). "I've worked with the SVT guys for several years now," says Shelby. "And I know they have the guts, the talent and the passion to deliver the best performance Mustangs ever."

In 2005 Carroll Shelby spent over a week in Detroit at Ford SVT going over the design & make up of the new 2007 Shelby.

So why isn't it a "Cobra"? Because Ford isn't calling it a Cobra. If you go back and look at the '65-'70 GT500s and GT350s, some were Cobras, some were not. Some were marketed as Mustang Shelby GT500s but later dropped the Mustang moniker. It was a very confusing time because Both Ford and Shelby were Building AC/Shelby Cobras and both used the Tiffany Cobra emblem, but the Shelby Corbas had the Cobra Hi-Rise manifolds.

Why do our cars have a Tiffany Cobra on them? Marketing. The '07 S197 is a retro throw back to the 60's. So the Shelby has a Cobra emblem as a throw back to the 60s also.

Bottom line, our cars are whatever Ford calls them, because Ford is the maker and builder, and Ford calls them the "Ford Shelby GT500".

When people as me what I drive, i say a GT500. Just like someone might say they deive an Accord. If they are confused, I say a Mustang.

Last edited:

Blue Snake

SLACKER Poster
Established Member
Here I thought The things all over the car were worms on Roids. HMMMMM

Users who are viewing this thread