Propane Homeowners. A Question For You About Tank Size

oldmodman

Established Member
What is the absolute smallest tank you would suggest?

I am leaning toward getting a tank that is large enough to only require two or three fills a year. That way I can buy when the prices have dropped and still have enough to last through the high price seasons.

The area that i am investigating is the east side of Lake Tahoe near Lakeridge. Mainly for the very large lot sizes. And how about having two smaller tanks? Any benefit to doing that?

(If this should be in roadside, go ahead and move. But I think the folks in here are smarter. ;-)

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
One large tank sized for one fill per year to take advantage of volume discounts, minimize associated fees (delivery, fill, inspection, etc.) and purchase when prices are lowest during the summer.

oldmodman

Established Member
Is this for a generator? Or just all around use?

All around use including a back up generator to keep the pipes from freezing if there is a winter power failure. The propane would be for the back up generator and general heating and cooking requirements. All AC is electrical.

How many gallons is suggested?

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
We had a 500 gallon at our previous home, and now again at our new home. We had to fill up 4 times a year at our last house and that got expensive quick. This new home should be much more efficient.

We were told 500 is the standard for most homes, around here that is.

jbs$

Established Member
500 minimum
1000 you get better prices

OWN THE TANK DON'T LEASE!
If you' don't want an eye sore, bury the tank as well.

This, I used a 500 gal buried tank for a number of years and always thought that it way too small. I was looking into a 1000 tank , also into tying 2 1000 gal tanks together when natural gas became available. The advise on buying the tank should be taken as you will get a better price per gal and you will have the ability to shop around for the best price. If you lease the tank, you are locked into what ever price the lease holder offers.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If it may run a back up generator, I would lean to 1,000 gallon. After the beating I took when propane jumped to $4 a gallon, I prebuy my propane for the season now.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Ok my family owns a ma and pa propane company here in Fl for 30 years. This is speaking as a friend not a propane company.

Here in Fl we have terrible soil. And even with proper anode tanks still "rot" underground. I have a UG tank. If you have the room leave above ground imo. Easier to maintain and if something needs to be done a whole lot easier! If going UG have propane company test tank anode. I see SO many improper UG tank installs it's not funny. And at 10 years or les the tank is compromised.

Tank size: I don't know what how cold it is where you are. But at very min 500 gallon. But maybe even a 1000. All in where you are at.

Own tank allows you to shop. But you are responsible for all Costs for tank and Maintain tank. Paying to have anode check and such.

YJSONLY

Established Member
If it may run a back up generator, I would lean to 1,000 gallon. After the beating I took when propane jumped to $4 a gallon, I prebuy my propane for the season now.

You can thank to the government on this! Long story short.

A company owns a good portion of Pipeline. Which is great. But the also sell the propane. So they decide. We going to shut down pipeline in middle of winter because we can. And drove the price thru the roof!!!!! To this day we as propane company's still talk about it!

YJSONLY

Established Member
Also 2 tanks on the same property is dumb unless you can't get lines from one side to the other.

YJSONLY

Established Member
I would look at area you are at and call some local company's. Tell them what you are using it for and what kind of usage can you suspect. I cannot tell you usage because I am in FL. I wouldn't suggest dealing with any of the majors. A lot of bait and switch.

jbs$

Established Member
In the years that I used propane, I got several quotes from different suppliers for a guaranteed fixed price for the winter season. With the fixed price came their commitment to keep the tank filled, their responsibility not mine to call them. This and the fact that I owned the tank always saved me money.

oldmodman

Established Member
Thanks for the answers.

I will be looking at an above ground tank in the 1000 to 2000 gallon range.

The property I am looking at already has a perfect spot only 35 feet from the road to place it. And it is hidden from view my some nice mature trees.

Wow! $1.19 per gallon? That's an incredible price.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Thanks for the answers.

I will be looking at an above ground tank in the 1000 to 2000 gallon range.

The property I am looking at already has a perfect spot only 35 feet from the road to place it. And it is hidden from view my some nice mature trees.

Wow! $1.19 per gallon? That's an incredible price.

So price will vary on lots of things. Location location location. And usage and also how much the dump at one tank too. What a guy pays in northern state vs Southern is a ton different. Even if it is from same company. So Southern people be warned. Down south my driver will drive all day to empty his truck and up north they can go to 2-4 residents and be empty.

Users who are viewing this thread