Project Turbra: Single Turbo Project for My Cobra

mfj

Faster than you
Established Member
After making a tad over 800rwhp and 741lbs-ft, it's time to move on. I am removing my 3.4L Whipple Supercharger and doing a single Precision PTE 7675 billet turbo. The kit is going to be fabricated by AFI. Here is what was currently done to my car:

3.4L Whipple
5.1L Stroker Engine (Oliver Billet Rods, Probe Forged Pistons, CHP Stroker Crank, Calico Hardened Bearings)
Comp Stage 3 cams
Ported 2003 Cobra heads (flowed 305 cfm @ 450 lift)
Kooks Long Tube Headers
Dr. Gas 3 in X-Pipe
3 in Mac Catback
T56 Tranny with upgraded Liberty 26 spline input shaft
Solid 8.8 rear end with welded axle tubes
2004 Cobra Diff.
Moser 31 spline axles
And all of the supporting mods, including a monster fuel system.

Here are some pics of the original supercharger build:

bareengine.jpg

engine3.jpg

mcleodbellhousing.jpg

engineinstall3.jpg

headers01.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

IMAG0404.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

IMAG0439.jpg

mfj

Faster than you
Established Member
Here are some pics of the initial tear down:

First I removed the front bumper, fenders and all of the intercooler/heat exchanger plumbing:

IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0454.jpg

After that I had one of my tech friends at Peoria Ford help me remove my x pipe, headers, supercharger and lower intake. Also removed the front pulley bridge and lower pulley and cage.

After removing my xpipe, I found out why my wideband was acting erratic. A weld on the bung broke,

IMAG0460.jpg

Headers and X pipe off

IMAG0466.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

Supercharger and Lower Intake Manifold removed

IMAG0463.jpg

IMAG0461.jpg

Just for shits and giggles, threw my blower on top of my daily driver Cobra, lol

IMAG0468.jpg

mfj

Faster than you
Established Member
Now, as far as parts accumulation, all I got so far is the following:

JLT 110 mm MAF Housing, BA5000 Slot Style Maf, Wiring Harness Adapter:

IMAG0471.jpg

Should have my intake manifold sometime next week. So in about a month, my car goes into AFI to get the Turbo Kit done. I am patiently waiting for them to finish their 2011 Mustang GT Project. I am next in line. They have the rest of the parts, but I'll keep the thread updated with pictures with progress of the build.

mfj

Faster than you
Established Member
My new 31 spline Detroit Locker!!

detroitlocker.jpg

Still waiting on my intake manifold to come in (this weekend) as well as my 99/01 Cobra Coolant crossover tube and alternator. After that, I'm all set with parts. Just waiting on AFI.

mfj

Faster than you
Established Member
Okay, a couple of new updates. FINALLY got my Sullivan Intake manifold. Here are a few pics. Everything is filthy, but it will be cleaned up. I might just clean and repaint the Sullivan, we'll see. I've done everything on my part, now just waiting for AFI.

IMAG0479.jpg

IMAG0483.jpg

IMAG0485.jpg

mfj

Faster than you
Established Member
Made things a little less nasty now, lol

Mounted my new Alternator and coolant crossover tube. Cleaned up the engine area a bit more. Some of the stuff is just lost cause. Baked in dirt, oh well.

IMAG0496.jpg

I thoroughly cleaned up the intake manifold and put a couple of layers of extreme heat gloss black paint on it

IMAG0497.jpg

So much better now!

IMAG0503.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0506.jpg

Next is to install my fuel rails and get all of the fuel lines reconnected as well as start hooking up my vacuum lines. Then got to mount all of that stuff up. Also, need to buy another belt, since I am running the alternator on the 6 rib drive system again, as opposed to running it on the supercharger belt previously.

Ironhand

Banned
I bought this second hand so I'm not sure if it was previously fixed, What's wrong with the ports?

I was trying to dig up the tech on it but cant remember which site I saw the info on.

But it had something to do with the PL area having to be cleaned up by hand due to a mismatch. At this time I cant find exactly what it was and if im recalling the right information. Ill keep digging tho.

mfj

Faster than you
Established Member
Well a little hiccup in the project. My aftermarket fuel rails don't fit the Sullivan intake manifold. Apparently, Sullivan designed their manifolds so that they will ONLY accept Sullivan fuel rails. God damned Nazi's. Well I just ordered these from a fellow Cobra guy, so should be getting them by the end of the week.

imagejpeg953.jpg

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Sweet man! Good luck along the way to turbo!

My car will be getting tuned in a month or so hopefully. All I need is a alternator and a week or 2 off work..... I'm ready to retire!

mfj

Faster than you
Established Member
No MAJOR updates yet. Got the Sullivan rails in and mounted them with my 120lb/hr injectors. Got to get another carb gasket, a couple of longer bolts for the Sullivan upper and an accessory belt. I need to connect my new alternator pig tail as well. Car goes into the shop this Friday.

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread