Project: Beat that V6!

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
Hey guys, I've got a 98 Chrome Yellow Cobra that I've had for about 2 years. In that time, I've not done too much to it. H&R super sport springs, Bilstien HD shocks/struts, and straight pipes with Magnapacks is the end of the mod list I've done. It has 4.10s and a pro 5.0 from the previous owner, but that's all for my baby. I met a friend through work with a 2011 V6, and he was foolish enough to line up with me. He honked it off.....and toasted me. 4 times total. :shrug: So, whe I started burning oil for an unknown reason, I said screw it, let's put a 5.4 in and destroy him! (For less than 3k) :banana: I got the rotating assembles from modmax racing for a flat $1500 (military discount FTW!), a stock 07 Shelby block and headers from Steve at Tousley Ford for 906 plus shipping, and decided to use my B heads for now. I should be getting everything in less than a week, and hope to have the swap done and driving to Phoenix for a tune by the 28. I'll update this as much as possible. Stay tuned! :beer:

Spiney

Established Member
I'm going to follow this. Not sure why he toasted you. On paper you both have 305 HP. Don't know the full specs but a V8 should have more torque than a V6. And your Cobra engine will rev into the 7,000's easily. Perhaps the oil burning means power loss.

Ok I went and read the Motor Trend test. V6 HP 308 Tq 280 rear 3:31. Red line 6850 weight 3520

Cobra V8 HP 305 TQ 300 Red Line 7200. Stock rear 3:23. But you had 4:10. Weight 3375

On paper your car should have beat him unless he had mods to it.

Educate here. You say you paid $1500 for the rolling assembly.

Then $900 for an 07 Shelby block and headers. So is the Rolling assembly the crank & pistons?

Will your "B" heads fit the Shelby Block? What displacement should you end up with?

Are you rebuilding the heads yourself?

Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Last edited:

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
When we went a few months ago, I had a slipping clutch. He also has some stuff done-CAI, exhaust, tune, and it's an auto so he doesn't have to worry about a perfect shift or launching like I do. Like I said, I'm bone stock.

Yes, my rotating assembly includes the crank, pistons, all that fun stuff.

My B heads are gonna bolt right up, but the intake manifold will need to be widened to account for the wider deck. Hopefully, before April I'll have C heads with a Boss intake on, and then have Shelby heads and a supercharger done before I leave Yuma.

I should end up with the full 5.4L of displacement.

I won't be rebuilding the heads, just making sure they're machined flat to ensure good fit.

CJK440

Established Member
Hopefully you did all your homework for a 5.4 swap. I assume you are going to use a widened B head intake?

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
Haha that's my hope as well. Anyone with experience with this swap, or know of any problems, please, feel free to chime in!

That's correct. I hope it'll be done quickly enough to do the swap in one day. Start bright and early Friday morning around 9, pull my engine by noon, get it cut then dropped off for the welding while we hook up the 5.4 and all that, then pick it up and that should be the last thing to install before it starts up. Of course, Mr. Murphy is gonna visit and throw that all to hell, as he loves doing.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Interesting build! You should come up to the Pavilions some day in Scottsdale when its finished! Your car has the exact same mods as mine to the brand name haha.

Not sure why you lost to the V6 stang? I have race my friends 2012 V6 with full bolts, gears, and a tune with a 6 spd and beat it buy 1.5-2 car lengths with ease. And again, I have the exact same mods as you.

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
Interesting build! You should come up to the Pavilions some day in Scottsdale when its finished!

Not sure why you lost to the V6 stang? I have race my friends 2012 V6 with full bolts, gears, and a tune with a 6 spd and beat it buy 1.5-2 car lengths with ease. And again, I have the exact same mods as you.

Our club has been trying to get up there! We're thinking of a dyno day there later-I'll be sure to give you a heads up.

I really think it's my lack of a tune and the slipping clutch that night. One race was from a standstill, the other 3 we're rolling. I know I didn't have to drop in the 5.4, but I want to do something drastic and different. Also, I can give it some of the new Cobra moxie in a sleeper. :)

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
wierd. i pulled an A6 V6 in my 100% bone stock 97 vert down to the paper filter. 1.5 lengths at 100mph. not a ton, but still. with 4.10s and a coupe you shouldve pulled him much better. sounds like a tired engine to me.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Our club has been trying to get up there! We're thinking of a dyno day there later-I'll be sure to give you a heads up.

I really think it's my lack of a tune and the slipping clutch that night. One race was from a standstill, the other 3 we're rolling. I know I didn't have to drop in the 5.4, but I want to do something drastic and different. Also, I can give it some of the new Cobra moxie in a sleeper. :)

You guys should definitely make it up here! Every 4th Saturday of the month is Mustang night there! Lots of mustang owners around. Dyno days are always fun, what shop?

Well, I do not have a tune and it runs just fine with the same mods. A slipping clutch can lose you some time. Are your IMRCs fully functional? Sure sounds like it. A 5.4 would be epic!

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
You guys should definitely make it up here! Every 4th Saturday of the month is Mustang night there! Lots of mustang owners around. Dyno days are always fun, what shop?

Well, I do not have a tune and it runs just fine with the same mods. A slipping clutch can lose you some time. Are your IMRCs fully functional? Sure sounds like it. A 5.4 would be epic!

We're looking at going to AZ Dyno Chip in Chandler. That's the same place i'll be getting it tuned at.

Update for y'all. I haven't been able to contact ModMax lately just cause of how I work, I want to call tomorrow before I go to sleep. Tousley said my block and headers should be in on Wednesday (Sep 25) but when I checked, the order was still in processing. :nonono: I emailed Chris, who had contacted me earlier about the order, and asked just on the status. He said the right side manifold was backordered, they were really sorry, etc etc etc. I was kinda disappointed, but hey, stuff happens, not their fault. But, my invoice came next, and they didn't charge me for shipping. :banana: I'd recommend them to anyone looking for FRPP or Ford OEM parts. So, the swap is going on the back burner for a few weeks. I work weird days, I'll have off Wednesday and Thursday but work the weekend. I won't be able to do it until probably Monday/Tuesday, but that's also all down to the guy helping me with the build. Also, my girl is coming to visit next weekend on my long weekend off, which is great to see her, but terrible for car plans. So, my hope is to have it installed and running by Novemeber now. With luck, maybe installed on the 6/7 and running untuned til 16/17. Wish me luck! :beer:

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Have you said what intake, heads and hood you are using? It would be cool if it fit under oem hood but I think it's too tall.

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
022_zps2336c15b.jpg.html

Engine parts came in!! :banana: Just waiting on the block and headers now.

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
another update: block and headers are in!!! i get paid tomorrow night, so i'll be picking up an engine stand Wednesday and meeting up to start building it that night. I'm so excited, i feel like a little kid haha.

Users who are viewing this thread