Project 98 snake!!!

snakebittn

Established Member
I've been thinking a whole lot lately and I finally decided i want to make my 1998 cobra a road racing machine. Something i can bring to circle tracks and road courses and spank a$$ if you know what i mean. But the only problem I'm having is I don't know what all i should do to accomplish this feat. I need to know what kind of springs and suspension i should go with eibach or steeda. What kind of engine mods to make it extrememly fast when coming out of the corners. If i should go with a supercharger or just port, polish, bore, stroke, cams. Nitrous?? Twin Turbo??? What rims would look the best the new FR500 18's or just a set of cobra r's with some fat tires in the back. What kind of exhaust would help the car off road h or x. The best cat back system to use and really i want the loudest too!! ?? Well to make this post a whole lot shorter............ I want to know everything i need to know about how to make my car a road race, street legal bad a$$. I have a 1998 double black cobra with offroad h and pulleys, but i want faster and best looking and the whole package. I want everyone to stop what their doin to look and listen when i pass by. well all help will be extremely appreciated and just put what u think i will definately read and consider. i need help im new to the making cars bada$$ deal. thank u and PLEASE HELP. THANKS A MILLION:-D

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by snakebittn
I want everyone to stop what their doin to look and listen when i pass by. :-D

To accomplish this you'll need a Yugo.

Can't help you with your quest, but will say GOOD LUCK, and post pics when you're done. Sounds like it'll be badazz.

SNK BITN

Established Member
Is money no object or do you have a budget to work with. Talk to the guys that get you results. Griggs, Global West, Maximum Motorsports and Steeda are just a few companies that have proven road race/auto x mustangs. See what they use and how good the quality of their parts are. Talk to their tech. Suspension is the key to autox/roadracing, not power. Then check on these boards to see whos actually using their stuff on the street. Get their opinion on wether they like it or not. Keep your gearing low (3.73-4.10 max) and utilize the stock 5 spd or go with a t56 viper spec 6speed.

Your question is way too broad, narrow it down and you'll get more specific answers. Ask questions like "whats better used for autox, a big bore n/a motor or a turbo/supercharger?". Which I'm sure one of these fellas can answer for ya. Just remember, your working with a really old, outdated chassis. You can dump tons of money into it and it still may not handle like a vette :(

snakebittn

Established Member
Well I'm trying to keep it at a reasonable expense, but you know what its a mustang and u know its worth every dollar thats put into it cause they are the baddest cars on the road!!!!! Well let's talk what would be better to turbo charge the motor, supercharge it, or have it polished, ported, balanced, blueprinted or the last four and a turbo or supercharger??? Or would it be more a reasonable thing to just get a bigger motor and replace the stock powerplant? I'm more than likely going to go with steeda cause right now thats the biggest name on the market and most well known if ya know what i mean. EXHAUST what is the best, loudest, and makes the most horsepower or is that combination just not goin to happen?? If not then whats the loudest? Well thanks for your help and I'll check into the other companies with the whole suspension deal. I hope i narrowed my questions down enough for you all but if I haven't just let me know and I'll see if i can get them more specific. Thanks again!!

snakebittn

Established Member
denham springs right on the outskirts of baton rouge. what part of baton rouge are you from??? Im out tha way almost every day basically. i think i might have seen u around. do u have a liscense plate that said POIZNUS on it????? thats a sh!t load of rwhp man i wish i had that . maybe ill catch ya around someday. Finally someone from the state of louisiana. well again any and all help is extremely appreciated and thanks for lookin at this post.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by snakebittn
denham springs right on the outskirts of baton rouge. what part of baton rouge are you from??? Im out tha way almost every day basically. i think i might have seen u around. do u have a liscense plate that said POIZNUS on it????? thats a sh!t load of rwhp man i wish i had that . maybe ill catch ya around someday. Finally someone from the state of louisiana. well again any and all help is extremely appreciated and thanks for lookin at this post.

I live in Denham Springs also. In fact, I live off of Dunn road. I may be able to help you out since you are right around the corner. Just to let you know, that RWHP was just with a blower and flow masters. I'm closer to 500 now. And yes, I'm the one with that plate. My car looks completely stock from the outside. Do you by any chance post on SNI?

SNK BITN

Established Member
So sounds like your more interested in the power aspect right now. I would go turbo. Your block will hold up just fine with the addition of forged internals, heads intake and cam work is up to you. Besides, I beleive that your power would be limited to the turbo, not the size of the block.

Steeda is arguably the biggest name but they also produce other components like pullies and other non suspension related stuff. MM and Griggs only deal with suspension, their tech is unmatched to steedas. I would trust either one of those companies to help me make a plan for a RR suspension.

snakebittn

Established Member
You live in that subdivision off of dunn i know ive seen the car. I used to have a friend that lived up in there. And your right it does look completely stock and heck yea u can help if u have 500rwhp. i need that. And yea power is better right now but heck it dont matter where i start just so long as i start. So a turbo is the best route u think? What size do you recommend? How much boost? What all do i need to get with the turbo?? Better rear-end? You know the usual things. Well thanks for the help and i'll see ya around poiznus.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
SNI is a local import board. They have a domestic area, but it is not that good. If you would like, you could come by one day and I can talk to you about some of your options.

Neurotoxin

Established Member
I would think with a turbo you would end up with some lag and extra weight. I have found that most high-end road race modular Mustangs use bored engines with wicked heads and cams. If I were you I would go this route with a bore to 5.0L and a nice set of cams and some ported heads. Cams with something around .385 lift intake and exhaust, 230 duration at .050 on both intake and exhaust would work sweet on ported heads.

This would net you a nice rwhp and a fair bit more than common competition.

Spend some money on lightening the car up and moving things around ie. rear seat delete, battery relocation (light weight battery), lightweight wheels (like you suggested 18" FR500 wheels), front seats, etc.

Weld your seams up for more rigidity.

Attack the suspension ie. panhard bar, road race springs, coil overs, c/c plates, k-member, a-arms, strut tower bars, control arms etc.

My suggestion on suspension kits would be to go with either Griggs or Kenny Brown.

My buddy uses a Kenny Brown set-up and he corners on 3 wheels :)

Good luck.

snakebittn

Established Member
Poiznus I will more than likely take you up on that offer. I'll bring my friend with his 00' lightning also, he wants to see your setup. I understand what your sayin about the turbo Neuro, and I'll probably end up getting it bored out into the 5.0. Thanks for all your help its all been printed up and read over and over. Thanks again

snakebittn

Established Member
Aight man thanks im goin to the site as i type. Nathan Biggerstaff, it's a 2000 silver lightning. Thanks for all the help. man im glad theres actually a website dedicated to the mustang clan.

Poiznus

Super Cool SVT Poster
Established Member
Okay, I was thinking you were talking about someone else. A friend of mine has a shop in Holden that might have some of the parts you will be looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread