Project 5.0 wont start

blackstallion19

Established Member
Well my project 5.0 wont start. At first I thought it was simply out of gas but that is not the problem. At first the starter was cranking but now it is not. Do you think the starter is the problem? I have a limited budget to work with so I just wanted to hear everyones opinion before I decicde what to fix first. I still have to put new o2 sensors on, because the lack of them was throwing off the timing. But I didn't think that would cause the car to stop starting completely. I also thought maybe it could've been the fuel pump or the alternator. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for all the advice

93sspcoupe

Established Member
need a little more info. is the motor turning over? also 02 sensors are not needed for the fox 5.0s. i removed mine along time ago and runs fine

stangman2880

Established Member
Take something and hit the starter, might be sticking. But do you hear it clicking through the solenoid? The solenoid could be bad. If you are sure you are getting power to the starter, you can take it off and have Advance Auto or Autozone or place like that, they will be able to test it and tell you if it's good.
I would make sure you getting power to solenoid, then to the starter. Make sure grounds are good and go from there.

Before when you thought it was out of gas, did you hear the fuel pump? You could check to see if you have fuel on the rail, at the shrader valve. The 02's will only mess with timing when it's running. If you get it turning over and you have fuel, then you can see if you are getting a spark on the plugs if it doesn't start. If you have fuel and have fire, then the next thing I would do is check the timing. Anyway just check those things, all free and see what you come up with.

blackstallion19

Established Member
Yeah I definitely heard the solenoid clicking and I heard the fuel pump... I think ill take your advice and pull the starter and have it checked out

sscobra

Established Member
need a little more info. is the motor turning over? also 02 sensors are not needed for the fox 5.0s. i removed mine along time ago and runs fine

You can't be serious! So your telling us that your running around in a fuel injected foxbody with no 02 sensors at all?? I would love to see how that's working :dw:.

sscobra

Established Member
Yeah I definitely heard the solenoid clicking and I heard the fuel pump... I think ill take your advice and pull the starter and have it checked out

Have you checked the pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve? Have you verified timing(TDC and initial)? Checked battery connections and battery wires? Checked the battery? Check for engine codes?

Last edited:

93sspcoupe

Established Member
You can't be serious! So your telling us that your running around in a fuel injected foxbody with no 02 sensors at all?? I would love to see how that's working :dw:.

they only help driveability at low rpm on foxes. and for the record my o2 sensors are in but the wires are cut off. so its not hooked up. and yes the car runs great. your more than welcome to come check it out. and yes its still fuel injected.

Last edited:

blackstallion19

Established Member
to answer a few of your guys questions...yes it is an auto...I will be swapping it to a t-5 but that's after I have it running soundly... I checked battery connections and battery wires... I checked the battery but I have not checked for engine codes... I was looking into having it towed to my old shop to have them plug it in

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
If it was the NSS the solenoid wouldn't be clicking. Sounds like he's got a bad starter, or a bad power cable/ground on the starter. Get down there with a test light, make sure it's getting power.

Have someone try and start the car while you vent some frustration on the starter with a hammer...see if that gets her to turn over.

Alternator will not cause your problem. Fuel pump could cause a no start, but if you hear it running, that's not your problem either. Once you figure out why she won't crank, check your spark.

blackstallion19

Established Member
not yet... I am having it towed to my old shop tomorrow... The only thing it was doing yesterday was making a clicking noise from the msd box... now it does nothing... so I guess we will see

blackstallion19

Established Member
also is there any chance that the battery is dead past the point of jumping it? I am having my friend bring over a voltage meter to check it... any one think thats a possibility?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
For an immediate jump? Sure. If the battery is drained enough, you won't get enough juice out of the transfer to start the car right away. You will probably have to let it sit and charge for 10 minutes or more before you can try it.

Users who are viewing this thread