Programmer choices and questions

coolmanclyde

Established Member
I have read alot of threads talking great about the SCT xcal programmer but will a predator give me everything I will need for cheaper? I have a close to stock cobra with catback. Just wanting to get a good HP gain, throttle response and possibly the 'better gas mileage' some claim.
The predators are everywhere and very cheap and will most likely be my choice- what do everyone think is best for me?

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
from what i've read and from who i've talked to sct xcal 2 and now 3 are for more hp cobra's. i believe if you have dont have a lot of mods there shouldn't be a difference. but sct has better customer service!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
The Predator will work fine to tune and read OBDII info, but without a doubt SCT makes the better unit.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I'd say search on both and see what their capabilities are and what your future plans are.

I'm switching from a predator to the sct programmer only because I plan to get a dyno tune some time in the future and the shop only uses sct tuners.
The predator worked just fine for my mail order tune for the past three years.

Both can datalog. the sct can hold multiple tunes but the predator can only hold one tune. there a few differences but either one can do a great job.

If you plan to do a dyno tune then just talk to the shop about what they use and go with that.

I'll be selling the predator soon. Look for it in the market when I do.

black 10th vert

Established Member
If you want to buy a new one, you can get either brand from Amazon for $399, and that includes a free lifetime tune based on your mods. Can't beat that in my opinion! I already had the Predator (came with my car, with their "performance tune" installed). Since I already had the Predator, I decided to give it a shot, and so far, I'm pleased with it's ease of use for making changes, uploading tunes, etc. If buying one right now, I'd probably pick the SCT just based on what I've read on here, but I have no plans to change at this point. I also think they are a hell of a bargain to buy used in the classifieds - you just have to be VERY SURE that you get one that has been unlocked by the owner, so that you can use it, otherwise it will end up costing more than a new one by the time you send it in to Diablosport to be unlocked.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
What tuner you go with doesn't really matter. I've had both, they do the same stinking thing. I had to switch to SCT because of my tuner's preference. Go with what your tuner uses. If you plan to run a downloaded tune from Diablosport or SCT then you're crazy anyways, so the better online software support doesn't really matter IMO. If you can get a cheap predator and your tuner uses it, go with that.

coolmanclyde

Established Member
ok cool! Thanks guys I feel assured with buying a predator. I dont plan on modding the car all that much. I appreciate the input.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
What tuner you go with doesn't really matter. I've had both, they do the same stinking thing. I had to switch to SCT because of my tuner's preference. Go with what your tuner uses. If you plan to run a downloaded tune from Diablosport or SCT then you're crazy anyways, so the better online software support doesn't really matter IMO. If you can get a cheap predator and your tuner uses it, go with that.

this is true enough..making a choice about your tuner is more important since the programmer is going to be personal preference and basically does the same thing..the only big difference is the fact that SCT will hold 4 programs versus the Preditor holding only 1..you should check out your tuners backround,experience and knowlege then talk to him personally and see how you relate to him..after sale support service is also important.. it doenst matter how good a tuner is at tuning if you cant get ahold of him when you need him..Rick is available to dial in a tune via email or he can travel to your area it you want him to tune it in person..he can check out his backround here

www.amazonracing.com

we work with SCT and Diablosport and now HP Tuners so our customers do not have to switch when they come here with a previously purchased programmer

if you are looking for a programmer we sell them shipped for $399 and that includes a custom program with life time free revisions no matter what you add as long as you stay with AMazon as your tuner..

coolmanclyde

Established Member
Thanks for the heads-up Amazon.

I currently will have trouble even getting a used predator(cash woes), let alone having to pay someone to tune it. I just wanna get a used 'unmarried' pred and shoot a pre-programmed tune into the car.

I guess to play it safe I should still do the initial tune at a dyno to see A/F and HP gains. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread