Profiling? Boredom? I don't know what to classify this as...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizior

Established Member
As I was leaving my high school today, I got onto the road outside my school(30 mph zone). As my entire senior class if leaving, within a 100 yd stretch there are 3 different cars with radar out. I don't know if they caught anyone, b/c in that area there is normally an LEO waiting when school gets out 3 to 4 times a week, and the entire school knows they're there.

I'm not sure about the other direction out of the school, but I heard there may have been one or two cars in that direction, also.

I doubt they catch many people, but isn't this profiling an age range?(If that is even possible, I know race is, but I'm not sure about age.)

And on another note, and I'm not trying to sound like I'm trying to tell officers their job, but isn't there something better a small town police force could use 3+ police cars and officers for in the middle of the day?

dirtybird

Established Member
Maybe some parents who pick up their kids complained about the driving around the high school. Or maybe since it's a small town and this is a big traffic problem some officers would be there to monitor it.

sbro712

Established Member
Depends on whether or not they had been recieving complaints from the neighborhoods about cars speeding throught the school zone or the neighborhoods after school lets out.

If enough people complain, then the PD needs to so something about it.

As far as your "profiling" complaint, how is it profiling if you break the law and get pulled over for it?

thursby

THE OWNAGE BITCHES
Established Member
i understand about the profiling, but i dont know if its legal or not. hes saying that they are only targeting people that leave the school at the time that school lets out(highschool kids from 13-18). that is profiling(i believe, correct me if i'm wrong) but i dont think its wrong. i've been hit twice in my dang school parking lot. so i know that the majority of highschool kids cant drive. i would target that are too if i were a cop.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
That is not profiling.

That is a smart cop that knows stupid things shall come.

Vizior

Established Member
I'll admit that most high schoolers can't drive, and that if you're looking to right tickets it's a good place to sit. But 3 cars? I don't complain even though there is one there 3 out of 5 school days. I'm just wondering about the legality of this.

My question, however, is that if you believe in racial profiling, is this not profiling to an extent?

And also, thinking back, I'm wondering if they were after drugs more. In my community it's not too hard to figure out who's got drugs in their cars, and one officer pulled out after a suspicious car as I was leaving to get on the highway. Perhaps that is a possibility, and if it was, I hope they got some of the damned pot heads in my school.

Anyways, it doesn't really bother me, it's just a matter of concentrating and making sure I don't speed, even though the road intices you to do well over 30.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
High school kid profiling? Right man.

The high school i went too was in the middle of an afluent WP community with lots of oak trees and they used to sit behind a tree almost every day of school waiting for kids.

This is probably gonna get moved to Roadside.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Vizior said:
I'll admit that most high schoolers can't drive, and that if you're looking to right tickets it's a good place to sit. But 3 cars? I don't complain even though there is one there 3 out of 5 school days. I'm just wondering about the legality of this.

My question, however, is that if you believe in racial profiling, is this not profiling to an extent?

And also, thinking back, I'm wondering if they were after drugs more. In my community it's not too hard to figure out who's got drugs in their cars, and one officer pulled out after a suspicious car as I was leaving to get on the highway. Perhaps that is a possibility, and if it was, I hope they got some of the damned pot heads in my school.

Anyways, it doesn't really bother me, it's just a matter of concentrating and making sure I don't speed, even though the road intices you to do well over 30.

This isnt profiling. I am sure they will pull over anyone that is speeding on that stretch of road, whether they are in high school or not. Even a teacher :bored:

There are many reasons they could be there. It could be about traffic control, community complaints, school officials complaining, taskforce, etc. Also if you expect a large group of violators you use a large group of officers.

How does a road "intice" you??

Last edited:

Vizior

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
This isnt profiling. I am sure they will pull over anyone that is speeding on that stretch of road, whether they are in high school or not. Even a teacher :bored:

There are many reasons they could be there. It could be about traffic control, community complaints, school officials complaining, taskforce, etc. Also if you expect a large group of violators you use a large group of officers.

How does a road "incite" you??

I see, what you're saying, I failed to consider many of those. It just confused me, because I couldn't think of any reason they'd expect so many violators today.

And how the road can entice a person? Relatively straight, downhill, wide lane, few potholes, etc.

Last edited:

Lawman85

Banned
I sit at 3 school zones every afternoon, 5 days a week. I have an elementary, middle and high school that I sit in EVERY DAY.... guess I'm just profiling....or.... I'm concerned about moron drivers plowing into a bunch of kids... nah, it's got to be the profiling...

Ifear3rdGear

Established Member
I dont think it could be labeled as profiling. But its hard to disagree that they sure know where to go if they are running short on filling their "ticket quota" or so it seems. However, imho there is a difference between sitting in a school zone outside of school grounds and sitting in a parking lot or a road leading to it and looking for solely students. in all of these "stop the fast n furious" sting operations that are set up in the parking lots of many public high schools the agenda certainly seems to be geared towards busting kids who do dumb shyt :rolleyes:

We had one cop that would sit at the end of our parking lot entrance about once a week since the damn access road was about an 1/8 mile long, :rockon: I left rubber there PLENTY of times (not during school hours, just thought id clear that up for those who wish to critique every life choice a member chooses to post here) :rollseyes He always managed to get some dumbass who chose to run the stop sign or go above the 20 mph speed limit.
The complaints from the school officials and/or parents could have been what caused the influx of officers at your school. As much as you'd like to think this is "illegal" the reality of it is that we ARE targeted more as teenagers since teens for the MOST part cannot drive. (to clear this up, yes i am 19, and consider myself a VERY SAFE DRIVER and have had never been pulled over for a moving violation of any sort, but i occasionally have to lay rubber somewhere when deemed appropriate).
However, there are those who can handle a car and feel comfortable behind the wheel, then there are the "jessica simpson" type of drivers a.k.a (i dropped my purse let me look under the seat while im driving!!) :bash:

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
I don't know why eveyone has such a problem with profiling. We have statistics for eveything now days. The police know who commits the majority of crimes. Most kids in highschool are going to speed. I know I did. Why shouldn't the police sit right there and catch you. I am sure there is a higher ratio of speeders coming out of school than on any random highway.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
I dont think its a question of profiling, because there needs to be a officer at school zones. Kids act like fools when they get into there car and leave school. My question is, why have 3 police officers in one school zone? Thats a waste of my tax dollars. Sounds like a small town. As far as "Also if you expect a large group of violators you use a large group of officers", i wonder how many violators they pulled over that day? I bet it wasn't enough to have a need for 3 officers. Think about it like this, we have a small town, pop 2000 or so, and a school that is 400 students, and we have 3 officers lined up in a row. Sounds like overkill to me. I would see a need if this was a town of 100,000,and a school of 1000...

FordSVTFan

Established Member
03azuremach said:
I dont think its a question of profiling, because there needs to be a officer at school zones. Kids act like fools when they get into there car and leave school. My question is, why have 3 police officers in one school zone? Thats a waste of my tax dollars. Sounds like a small town. As far as "Also if you expect a large group of violators you use a large group of officers", i wonder how many violators they pulled over that day? I bet it wasn't enough to have a need for 3 officers. Think about it like this, we have a small town, pop 2000 or so, and a school that is 400 students, and we have 3 officers lined up in a row. Sounds like overkill to me. I would see a need if this was a town of 100,000,and a school of 1000...

The reason you need three is because when the violations will mostly likely occur within a 15 -30 minute period, it takes an officer 10 -15 min to run the proper checks and write the summons. Therefore if there was more than two violators during that time, one officer couldnt handle it.

It is hardly a waste of tax dollars, the officers are on shift and are being paid already. Plus there was apparent need for them to be there.

It sounds like overkill to you because you arent a L.E.O. and dont fully realize the needs of this type of op.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Not really, Think of yourself as a 17yr old again.

You see a cop with a student pulled over, and there is the only onecop. What do you do? You honk and yell at the students and then drive like an idiot because the one cop is already busy. Now if you have 3 cops, one can make a stop and still have 2 others for those that misbehave.

ScottsMach03

Established Member
Lawfficer said:
Not really, Think of yourself as a 17yr old again.

You see a cop with a student pulled over, and there is the only onecop. What do you do? You honk and yell at the students and then drive like an idiot because the one cop is already busy. Now if you have 3 cops, one can make a stop and still have 2 others for those that misbehave.

Ya, im not a cop, and im not a kid, my dad use to be a cop, so i know a little bit about the law, being that i was raised by a cop. If there is one cop, and he has someone pulled over, and kids see this, i serious doubt that there thinken "oh i get to cut up and act a fool, since this cop already has someone". I know when i pass a cop, and i see him pulling someone over, normally i think, "well cops are out, so i need to watch myself". Thats the normal train of thought. I still see no need to have 3 officers within a one mile radius back to back. I see a need for this, only if your in a big city, and on the interstate. Not a small town. But i guess my opinion is irrelavent, since "im not a cop"... Im glad my father didn't think like ya'll do.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
03azuremach said:
Ya, im not a cop, and im not a kid, my dad use to be a cop, so i know a little bit about the law, being that i was raised by a cop. If there is one cop, and he has someone pulled over, and kids see this, i serious doubt that there thinken "oh i get to cut up and act a fool, since this cop already has someone". I know when i pass a cop, and i see him pulling someone over, normally i think, "well cops are out, so i need to watch myself". Thats the normal train of thought. I still see no need to have 3 officers within a one mile radius back to back. I see a need for this, only if your in a big city, and on the interstate. Not a small town. But i guess my opinion is irrelavent, since "im not a cop"... Im glad my father didn't think like ya'll do.

Your mistake is you think because your father was a cop that you have some insight into police work. You obviously dont. You have insight into your father's personality. I explained why this was a good protocol and Lawman explained why it made sense. You just want to argue and be flippant.

Your "opinion" is exactly that, it is an opinion. It is not relavent since you dont understand the protocol behind the approach they used.

You still cant understand that if you expect more offenders than one officer can handle, that you assign more officers???? :shrug:

I give up!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread