Professional Detail Advice - Steel Wool on Glass... ?

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I just upgraded my DD to a 2002 M5. The car is clean but had some minor body work done. The back windshield has a bunch of small white dots, looks like probably some clear coat over spray or some primer over spray.

What type of steel wool (if that's the best solution) should I use on it... ? It's pretty easy stuff to remove & every time I wash the car I sit their with my finger nail & remove more & more. But, that method would take forever.

Please give me some advice & offer me your thoughts on it. THANK YOU in advance... !

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Ive always used "0000" or "000" steel wool to clean overspray and whatnot off of glass surfaces.

bwahl602

Established Member
yea use 0000 ... add a little soapy water for lube...

i just took some water spots off of the windshield with some today...

ps dont use it on mirrors though... way different than glass

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Use the finest steel wool or just use some Prep Sol, it will remove overspray on glass.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Wow, I'm surprised you guys are recommending 0000 steel wool, I figured that would even scratch it. Good to know, thanks.

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
This will sound off the wall but I go the the cosmetic section of any pharmacy or wall mart or whatever and look for these facial scrubbing pads that look similar to a scotch brite material but finer and they are usually round and white. They are synthetic and I'm not talking about loofa sponges either. Lol.

The problem I have with steel wool is if you don't rinse it well enough after cleaning I noticed little pieces of the steel wood that had come off while scrubbing the glass collected @ the bottom of the window and made small rust spots.

I also use these pads on the fromt of the car with a detail spray to remove bugs. Works great and does not scratch the paint.

Users who are viewing this thread